1983 Hunter 34 mast step plate

kmason

Jul 20, 2016
Hunter 34 wilson, ny
Hello,
We have just recently purchased our first sailboat--a 1983 Hunter 34. It has a broken mast step plate that needs to be replaced. We are trying to identify the model number of the Kenyon mast associated with this boat. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks--The Masons

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
Welcome
Do you have a picture? Lots of resources on this site and plenty of knowledge.

kmason

Jul 20, 2016
Hunter 34 wilson, ny
Thanks for your response! I will try again to attach pics--It would not let me the first time...
mast step 3.jpg

kmason

Jul 20, 2016
Hunter 34 wilson, ny
boat.jpg
Here's a picture of the boat with the mast down and ready to sail through the locks...

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
I wouldn't let that stop me from putting the mast up. After all it's held in place by the rigging, very little side load. Maybe in the fall when you pull you could look into replacing the step plate. And that would give the rest of the summer to look for a plate.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree with Don.. That cracked stuff is not necessary structurally at all. The major load is downward and you have plenty meat left to handle the side loads.. I would not consider replacing it..

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
That does not look like a problem- there is plenty of base left to hold it in place. I would not bother replacing it- it appears to not be a recent bit of breakage- probably happened when putting the mast up and the crane dropped it down a few inches further than it should have when the mast was not quite right over the base.. That is why you keep your hands out of there when putting masts up!

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
if it is the tall step I have one available that i purchased a few years ago and would think about selling it

kmason

Jul 20, 2016
Hunter 34 wilson, ny
We were looking to replace it on the recommendation of the marina where the boat was delivered after sale, but maybe we'll put it off for now... Thank you all for the feedback! Do you have the dimensions/pictures of the step you have? We might still replace it in the future.

dcalif

Feb 17, 2015
Hunter 34 Monterey Bay
Your step looks to be a modified Kenyon 4873 K-10942 mast step that was machined to accomodate the exit blocks. The edges for the exit blocks don't have the smooth edge of the cast one.

Had similar issue on my '85 h34. Pulled the stick and found part of the plate broken off and the broken piece nowhere to be found (see pics). I was told by the PO that he'd never even seen the step and had no idea. Most people gave me similar advice re: side loads not so critical, etc. and they have a lot more experience than I do. But it worried me enough to hunt down a new one. Found replacement at rig-rite.com to fit the Kenyon 4873 (also pictured). This one is cast with the exit blocks in place. Found it at:
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/4873-cruising.html

Here's their part description (there's no picture for this part, but there is one for the K-10942):

4873 Mast Step - Special: K-11671:

Mast Step, as K-10942, above, but with sides cut out to allow for use with mast with welded deck-level exit blocks. As used on Hunter 34. Special Order item.

Regardless of what you have, this is the only place I was able to find Kenyon mast steps. You have to fax the order. I'm sorry, but I don't recall the price.

Hope this helps.
dan.

oldstep.jpg oldstep2.jpg oldstep3.jpg kl-newstep.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
dcalif is correct where to buy a new mast step. That was a Kenyon Isomat mast and maststep built in Charlotte, NC. They were bought out by Zspar years ago but that was history. The new company in the old plant is now called Sparcraft. I am now hearing that you can get through to them but many folks said they could not. Rigrite does sell the parts as sparcraft but actually are Kenyon isomat. If you see Charleston Spar also named, same folks.

May 17, 2013
Hunter 34 Oak Orchard YC
I bought a 1984 H34 in 2013. Dropped the mast this past winter to rewire and change out spreader end boots.
1st time the mast is down, and we discovered that the back part "tab" in the deck foot was damaged. After discussions with mechanics, and a rigger at the yard, they suggested there is enough of the foot remaining to accept the downward force of the load when we step the mast. They didn't not feel it would be critical to have to replace.
Thoughts? I am scheduled to step my mast mid-week May 21-28. Thank you.

Attachments

May 17, 2013
Hunter 34 Oak Orchard YC
Your step looks to be a modified Kenyon 4873 K-10942 mast step that was machined to accomodate the exit blocks. The edges for the exit blocks don't have the smooth edge of the cast one.

Had similar issue on my '85 h34. Pulled the stick and found part of the plate broken off and the broken piece nowhere to be found (see pics). I was told by the PO that he'd never even seen the step and had no idea. Most people gave me similar advice re: side loads not so critical, etc. and they have a lot more experience than I do. But it worried me enough to hunt down a new one. Found replacement at rig-rite.com to fit the Kenyon 4873 (also pictured). This one is cast with the exit blocks in place. Found it at:
http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/4873-cruising.html

Here's their part description (there's no picture for this part, but there is one for the K-10942):

4873 Mast Step - Special: K-11671:
Mast Step, as K-10942, above, but with sides cut out to allow for use with mast with welded deck-level exit blocks. As used on Hunter 34. Special Order item.

Regardless of what you have, this is the only place I was able to find Kenyon mast steps. You have to fax the order. I'm sorry, but I don't recall the price.

Hope this helps.
dan.

View attachment 127895 View attachment 127896 View attachment 127897 View attachment 127898
Thank you for the photos of the old and the new. Can you tell me how the replacement went with the 4 bolts? Was there any interior construction? Were they lag bolts in to the compression post? Where they toggle bolts? After removing the old plate, was it a matter of simply bolting the new one down? Thank you.