1983 Hunter 34 Main 110v breaker connections (Very techical)

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
What looks like the original main breaker in my panel has some connections I can't find any information on so I'm hoping someone here can help. The main is double wide with a set of hot and neutral connections that I assume both break when off. Pictures of original connections attached.
My problem is that I get continuity across the neutral connections with the breaker in the off position. I also don't know what the "coil" connection is for, it is connected to the ground.
I'm the kind of guy that likes to know these things but my main concern is that the original may not have been connected properly. That would not be the first, big surprise.
I'd appreciate any info. Thanks

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The main is double wide with a set of hot and neutral connections that I assume both break when off.
Yes that is the way it should be. It is a double pole breaker and both the hot (black) and neutral (white) should be protected. My understanding is the double pole breaker is necessary to protect the circuits if shore power has reversed polarity. This differs from house wiring in which only the hot wire is protected. If the marina wiring is reversed, i.e., the black is neutral and white hot, and only the black has circuit protection, then turning the breaker off would leave any devices connected energized, a bad idea. The double pole breaker breaks the circuit for both the hot and neutral lines cutting off power to devices if the polarity is reversed.

My problem is that I get continuity across the neutral connections with the breaker in the off position.
Sounds like time for a new breaker. Read up on ELCI breakers. https://www.bluesea.com/support/art..._Interrupters_[GFCIs]_to_make_your_boat_safer.

I also don't know what the "coil" connection is for, it is connected to the ground.
I'm clueless on this one, but interested in the answer.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The energized neutral could be back-feeding from something else- say an "always-on" circuit? Lft the feed wire off it's end of the breaker and see if you loose power on the output side. AND/or, take the wire off the output side and if you loose the voltage, it is beong backfed from somewhere.

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
Thanks dlochner, I hadn't heard about the ELCI breakers, something new all the time. I suspected the neutral should be open with the breaker off, now I have the fun task of looking for a replacement that fits!

Ron, I checked the breaker for continuity with the wires off.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks dlochner, I hadn't heard about the ELCI breakers, something new all the time. I suspected the neutral should be open with the breaker off, now I have the fun task of looking for a replacement that fits!

Ron, I checked the breaker for continuity with the wires off.
Unlike house breakers, marine breakers tend to be standardized across brands. Finding new ones shouldn't be hard.