1983 Catalina 25' Poptop/ swing keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
Hello, everyone. I have been looking to buy a sailboat (and learn how to sail) this season, and I have looked at several different boats - and one in particular that I like is a 1983 Catalina 25' with a poptop and swing keel. The current owners purchased it a few years ago from a man they say took very very good care of it, but the boat seems to have been a bit neglected in their care. They don't seem to have been particularly rough, but just not mindful of maintenance. The boat hasn't been out of the water in two years. They tell me that the 2 stroke motor (Johnson) on the back doesn't really need to be winterized, so it hasn't been for the past three years and there is a peculiar dip in the floor adjacent to the kitchenette area. There's also a little "skylight" in the berth that has a split in it and those boards on the floor, underneath where I'd imagine the bilge would be (above the keel), are screwed down so you can't pop them up. I am just wondering if all of that is normal for the boat. I saw the boat on Sunday, and it is very nice looking. From what I could see, it deserves to be professionally detailed and the sails reconditioned. The one maintenance the owners told me that they did was to replace the swing keel pendant line about 2 years ago. That looks great. But, I was hoping to ask those of you who own these fabulous boats whether: it's true that a sailboat doesn't need to be winterized? I never heard of that. I live in New Jersey - the bay freezes over solid and so do many of the lagoons - and I would have believed that all the pluming and water lines inside the boat as well as the engine would need to be winterized every year. Also, are those floor boards supposed to be screwed down, or should they lift right off? And, is this little dip in the floor near the kitchen area, a design feature, or should the floor be level? And, also if the boat hasn't been out of the water in two years are there more things than barnacles that you'd be concerned about?

I know that I will need to do maintenance. All of the pretty wood is going grey. They haven't spent any time on the teak at all. The cushions will need to be reupholstered and the whole galley really cleaned.

What other things should I look for? Any advice and feedback you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Mary

Oh, and PS - can you put the pop top up when your sailing? Or is that just for lounging around when you're anchored with a glass of wine in hand?

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I have an 84 Cat25 pop top that is new to me as well. I purchased it last august. As
far as I know the dip in front of the galley sink is normal as well as the bilge covers being screwed down. The pop top is for use while at anchor or at the dock "glass of wine in hand" it also has a canvas cover with screens that snaps around the perimeter of the open hatch. As far as winterization goes I've heard of plenty of boats being left in if their marina is equipped with a bubbler system but as far as the engine goes I am yet to hear that one. I'd have a mechanic go over it. There is a deadlight replacement kit on Catalinadirect.com and it's an easy fix. Hope this helps. She is a great boat if you can find one in good condition.

Kev

Mar 26, 2011
Catalina 22 Lanoka Harbor
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the information, but guess what? When I called the owner today, he told me he sold the boat on Sunday after I looked at it. I am bummed!

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate the information, but guess what? When I called the owner today, he told me he sold the boat on Sunday after I looked at it. I am bummed!

...that just means that there is another boat getting ready to go up for sale that will be 'more' perfect for you. :)

Mar 8, 2011
Catalina 25 Long island
I agree totally. When I started looking I went and saw a gorgeous Cat22. I came home, discussed it with the boss and called the next day to make an offer. IT WAS SOLD :(. In retrospect it would have been a little small for us and the Cat25 was a better fit. Be patient. Your boat is out there.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
I'm guessing the O'Day didn't work out for you if you were looking at a C25?

The Catalina 25 is an excellent first boat....my choice after all...and there are plenty of them out there. This time of year though, boats are starting to sell! Many of them have sat all winter and the owners haven't received a single call....but now the weather is starting to warm up and you're not the only one looking. You're gonna have to be ready to jump!

Don't buy a boat without getting it surveyed. You can always make a conditional offer on your boat, that nothing major is found on the survey. That's what I did...offer was accepted and the boat passed the survey and haul out for bottom inspection.

While you're shopping, go out and get a couple of books for evening reading. Get a good beginners book; there are many to choose from. I chose Bob Bond's Handbook of Sailing, read it cover to cover to get a good foundation on the many subjects of sailing, and am now studying the Annapolis Book of Seamanship....plus got the 5 DVD set from Netflix.

The second book to get, that will help you tremendously when choosing a boat, is Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual. The whole first section is about choosing a boat and conducting your own survey to see if this boat is worthy of spending the money on a professional marine survey.

Good luck and keep at it....your boat is tied up to a slip or mooring buoy right now, wanting to go sailing, waiting for you!

Oct 30, 2010
Catalina 25 Middle River Maryland
My Catalina is the same model and year. I would definitely have the motor looked at. The impeller needs to be checked for your piece of mind and the motor needs to have the oil in the gear box changed. The keel cable should be checked too. Replace it so YOU know when it was changed. The floor in the kichenette area does have the dip.
The boat does need to be winterized. If it has a head the tank needs to be emptied. If it has a water tank, that needs attention.
Join the local Catalina club so that you might have a resource.
The boat will sail great but you need to go over it to be safe. Have you every taken a boating class?

Hello, everyone. I have been looking to buy a sailboat (and learn how to sail) this season, and I have looked at several different boats - and one in particular that I like is a 1983 Catalina 25' with a poptop and swing keel. The current owners purchased it a few years ago from a man they say took very very good care of it, but the boat seems to have been a bit neglected in their care. They don't seem to have been particularly rough, but just not mindful of maintenance. The boat hasn't been out of the water in two years. They tell me that the 2 stroke motor (Johnson) on the back doesn't really need to be winterized, so it hasn't been for the past three years and there is a peculiar dip in the floor adjacent to the kitchenette area. There's also a little "skylight" in the berth that has a split in it and those boards on the floor, underneath where I'd imagine the bilge would be (above the keel), are screwed down so you can't pop them up. I am just wondering if all of that is normal for the boat. I saw the boat on Sunday, and it is very nice looking. From what I could see, it deserves to be professionally detailed and the sails reconditioned. The one maintenance the owners told me that they did was to replace the swing keel pendant line about 2 years ago. That looks great. But, I was hoping to ask those of you who own these fabulous boats whether: it's true that a sailboat doesn't need to be winterized? I never heard of that. I live in New Jersey - the bay freezes over solid and so do many of the lagoons - and I would have believed that all the pluming and water lines inside the boat as well as the engine would need to be winterized every year. Also, are those floor boards supposed to be screwed down, or should they lift right off? And, is this little dip in the floor near the kitchen area, a design feature, or should the floor be level? And, also if the boat hasn't been out of the water in two years are there more things than barnacles that you'd be concerned about?

I know that I will need to do maintenance. All of the pretty wood is going grey. They haven't spent any time on the teak at all. The cushions will need to be reupholstered and the whole galley really cleaned.

What other things should I look for? Any advice and feedback you can give is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Mary

Oh, and PS - can you put the pop top up when your sailing? Or is that just for lounging around when you're anchored with a glass of wine in hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.