1982 Hunter 22 - need Swing Keel replacement

May 30, 2021
Hunter 22 Lake Hefner
My wife and I recently started restoring a 1982 Hunter 22. When we launched the boat today, the keel got caught on our trailer and broke off right at the pivot pin. I can't seem to find a replacement for sale. Does anyone have experience with retro-fitting or getting a new keel made? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Mars Metals makes keels. If you can locate a local foundry it will be a lot less expensive.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
BTW I've gotten the centerboard of two boats caught on the trailer cross beam. I was fortunate neither broke off but only because they were light boats.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If you have both of the parts, the weighted fiberglass board can be repaired by a good fiberglass repair shop..

May 30, 2021
Hunter 22 Lake Hefner
BTW I've gotten the centerboard of two boats caught on the trailer cross beam. I was fortunate neither broke off but only because they were light boats.
I am thinking I need to find a way to make sure that doesnt happen again. Have you come up with any potential solutions?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just try to make sure the centerboard is all the way up. We need to make a way to lock it up. And when the boat isn't sliding off the trailer - stop. Something is wrong.