1981 Sabre 30 Keelbolts

Jul 30, 2025
1
Sabre 30 Camden
I am looking at buying this model and vintage of boat and was wondering about the keelbolts and what would need to be done if there was a problem and they needed to be replaced. The x-section drawing of the bolt in the owners manual shows that the hex head is embedded down inside the lead of the keel so doesn’t appear to be something that could be replaced easily. Does anyone have any experience with this?
 
Jan 11, 2014
14,162
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am looking at buying this model and vintage of boat and was wondering about the keelbolts and what would need to be done if there was a problem and they needed to be replaced. The x-section drawing of the bolt in the owners manual shows that the hex head is embedded down inside the lead of the keel so doesn’t appear to be something that could be replaced easily. Does anyone have any experience with this?
There are about 1,000 Sabre current and past owners on the Sabre email list and in the 25 years I've been on that list I don't recall any keelboat issues on a 30 or any other Sabre model. Since you are considering a Sabre, join the group, link below. There is also a Sabre Sailboat FB Group.

I owned and sailed a Sabre 30 for 14 years before moving up to a 362. The 30 is a great boat, sails well, well built, attractive, and a great and extensive support group online and at Sabre Yachts.


 
Sep 28, 2026
1
Sabre 38 MK II Port Elgin
MARS once replaced keel bolts but are no longer offering this service. If you have problematic keel bolts with corrosion or anything else sketchy, I would suggest you don't consider that boat.