1981 Hunter 27

Sep 5, 2019
Venture 222 Green Bay
I am looking at buying a 1981 Hunter 27. There is alot of neglect as it has sat on dry dock for 2 years. It appears the bilge keel area may have been reworked. Is it worth getting a survey? It seems that it is sold as is without being in the water or engine running. Bad idea? They are asking $1500.

Attachments

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Imho- I am not sure what the deck is cored with and if there are any soft spots. Do the chain plates leak. How badly do you want a project. Could be a large one.
If it doesn’t work out you can strip it and sell the parts —— I bought a S2 like this and redid it — i like that kind of thing. It turned into a good boat. Most expensive 1500 dollar boat i ever bought - however i did sell it after repairing it and sailing it for a year. Got my parts money back but no labor dollars.

Sep 5, 2019
Venture 222 Green Bay
I like these types of projects. I have been considering the options. The biggest concern is the logistics of getting the boat to where I can work on it. Which this would be easiest to put it in where it is at and motor/sail it to my club 10 miles away. That would require draining the tank and refilling and conditioning the fuel system, getting the engine running. Getting it in the water and hoping it doesn't have any leaking issues.
The other concern is how much deterioration there may be in the keel area. My tapping skills indicate it does not seem too bad. Walking on the deck didn't not present any soft spots. But what do I know.
I would need to get a yard trailer to put the cradle on at my club for end of season.
So my finance advisor sees alot more than just a $1500 boat ;-)
The boat name is pretty much appropriate as I have no clue what I would be getting into. I'm pretty sure it's over my head, but I like a good challenge.

Twille

Oct 8, 2012
Hunter 38 Henderson, nc
Depending on the issues the dollars may not be as bad as how much time you spend fixing/rebuilding. Do you want to work on it or sail it?

Sep 5, 2019
Venture 222 Green Bay
Ultimately sail it. I would work on what I can now and over the Winter to be able to put it in the water for Spring to sail it for the Summer.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You can probably get it for free if you insist. Remember that the current owner probably has to pay to store it and maybe insure it if it is in a marina. He will probably be happy to be rid of it. This is in no way an endorsement for taking this boat by me. I sort of enjoy maintenance and I have an old boat but that may not be for you. Consider taking out a loan and purchasing a newer boat. Your choice, of course.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm not seeing/understanding your concern with the keel. If this boat has keel problems I wouldn't buy it. What engine does it have in it? Should be a yanmar, that's what originally came in them. But I think in 81 they were putting in the GM series, not the YS series. Both are pretty simple diesels. I'd want to know if it runs. Without a running engine, or one that could be made to run easily, I wouldn't buy it. Did you try to turn the motor over to be sure it isn't seized? Still got the original aluminum fuel tank? Those only last so long, I'd be wary if still the original tank.

Your financial advisor is right. This boat will cost a lot more than $1500 to get sailing - just in parts...

What's it got for sails? Hardware all working? Completely agree you don't want soft spots in the deck.

Free would be better....

dj

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
My 1981 H27 has a Yanmar 1GM that I just had rebuilt, two guys lifted it out of the boat by hand to work on it. If this one ran before and the boat wasn't sunk at any point, you might be able to get it going. If you do pull the engine, go ahead and replace the fuel tank, muffler and all the hoses while the engine is out of the way.
BoatUS required a survey before they would insure it, you may have to have one done for your insurance company. I still had the older gate valves on the through hulls which had to be replaced. Surveyor would be able to give you an idea of what shape she's in. At the least, the traveler, boom vang, and pedestal guard are upgrades I don't have.
You might get luck and she may not need all that much. Mine was a nice step up from a C-22.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The water in the bilge didnt come through the hull. It came through the deck and at lesst two years of doing so. Unless it is obvious were it came through, I'd assume that it worked its way through the core.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Definitely get a survey and then boat yard estimate to repair BEFORE you purchase. Then you can make an informed decision about what additional costs you will need to incur after you take ownership. The survey will be required to insure it to meet marina requirement for berthing.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
The water in the bilge is obviously rain water. My 84 H27 had some leaks around the port lights and the hull to deck seam. I tightened all of the deck seam nuts and changed the port light seals and that problem was solved. I would have someone look at the engine as that would be a deal breaking expense. If it has the original sails, you will be looking at about $2000 for new ones. Look closely at the two overhead hatches, because the plastic supports and dogs are prone to breaking. I replaced both of mine with good quality used hatches. Personally, I would never buy anything but liability insurance for this boat. Liability insurance is all that a marina requires. Overall, I think that the H27 has good bones and is worth saving.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
The water in the bilge is obviously rain water.
Yes, that's what I think also, possibly the hatches get left open. Certainly check all the through hulls and replace gate valves & re-bed as needed. I have also re-tighten all my hull to deck joint bolts and tightened & re-bedded stanchions, I have one more leak to figure out and she'll be dry.