1981 H27 Salon Table

Apr 3, 2015
Hunter 27 Chicago
On my 4th year of refitting my Cherubini H27 and have never had a salon table. It was missing when I bought the boat. The only thing there is the block of teak on the bulkhead that the table attaches to. Looking for plans, pictures and ideas. I'm actually thinking of making it from King Starboard trimmed with teak. Thoughts???

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I have a 1984 H27, Too bad you didn't post this a day sooner and I would have been able to take a picture of it. I rebuilt the table 2 years ago after we just bought the boat. The previous owner was not big on maintenance. and the boat needed some serious TLC. I'm a retired cabinetmaker, so a shoddy interior was no big issue. I'm not familiar with Starboard so I can't help you there. Next time I'm back up to the boat I'll get some pics of the table ( I try to get there once a week to check the winter tarps) Any specific areas you want to see just ask.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am also a NH cabinet guy. My understanding of starboard is it is similar to what the nylon cutting boards are. An epoxy glue would probably work to attach the trim. Since you will want a raised edge for a table on a boat, I would recommend you cut your trim so you can dado the starboard into it. Leave an overhang top and bottom.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm not a owner of that model but I think a drop down table for that size boat is good. It folds up and out of the way for sailing and down for meals and lounging. You'll want one side with a leaf to allow passage from companionway to the head so a leaf arrangement works well. Definitely want fids to keep stuff from sliding off. I would make it undersized a bit so it doesn't take up the whole cabin. I would also work out a leaf on the seating side so there is room to slide in and then have the table top in close for meals, navigation, playing cards etc.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I am also a NH cabinet guy. My understanding of starboard is it is similar to what the nylon cutting boards are. An epoxy glue would probably work to attach the trim. Since you will want a raised edge for a table on a boat, I would recommend you cut your trim so you can dado the starboard into it. Leave an overhang top and bottom.

-Will (Dragonfly)
No, nothing sticks to starboard without complicated heat treatment.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
20160108_135051.jpg 20160108_135118.jpg Here are a few photos of our table: The first one shows the table on the wall with the leaf swung open. I have since added a latch on the bulkhead to hold the table instead of the bungee cord. The second pic shows how each of the three legs are attached. The last one shows the leaf hanging to allow easy passage to head and v-berth. With leaf up, it is comfortable for 2-4 people to dine or play cards. A very well designed saloon table for a smallish boat.

20160108_135356.jpg

20160108_135118.jpg

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Funny how for all the photos I do have of my boat, that's not one of them. I single-hand and eat at the nav table or in the cockpit.
Here is one from someone else's.
Hunter 27 Interior.jpg

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I have a pair of original-equipment Hunter-made folding-table hinges that I'm not going to use. They look old but are intact and very usable. They each have three leaves and two hinge pins, meant for folding the table downwards and then inwards against the bulkhead (so that the bulkhead edge finishes above the little stick on the wall that held it when it was down). This was necessary for the H25 because of low headroom - the table was longer than the stick was high off the sole.

If you're going to rebuild a table like the original and want these, let me know. I was gonna list them on eBay but I doubt anyone will know what they're for.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I wouldn't make a table out of Starboard if the only alternative were papier-mache. No strength, loves mold, can't be glued, painted, epoxied, sanded, etc. - the list goes on. (Don't get me started.) A nice piece of birch plywood, well-treated with epoxy (got to seal its edge-grain) and trimmed in teak or mahogany (depending on what your interior is now) is FAR more yachtlike, practical, and good-looking. Do your beloved boat justice.

FYI, Will G - Starboard is a thing of itself. It is not cutting board, which is FDA-approved and comes with textured finish. It is not HDPE either, which comes milky-white, is shiny, and is sturdier. It is a proprietary product that was designed to fill a gap in the market, for a cheap, structurally-indifferent, and easy-to-work material for the average non-boater who just wants it DONE (what I call 'digital morality' - 'it is what it is'; or 'it either is or is not'; or 'quantity speaks more than quality'; or 'I don't care because at least now I have a table'). If you can do any kind of woodworking at all (and I mean even 8th-grade-level), then you are already capable well beyond the limitations of Starboard.