1981 33' Hunter Jib Roller Furler removal

Jul 23, 2014
Hunter 34 Jacksonville, FL
I currently have a 165% Jib on my boat and need to remove it to put on a 185%. My 165 is in need of some sewing type repairs. I have never had the Jib off and I am in need of some assistance/advice. I am a pretty new sailor and owner of this great boat, so be gentle with responses. Do I have to climb the mast to remove the wire from the top, and if so how is this performed.

Thank you in advance,
Charles

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The jib should have a halyard even if it is set up for roller furling. There shouldn't be a need to go up the mast - remember sails are meant to be taken down as a basic safety precaution. You may have a wire/line halyard but there is a halyard there somewhere. When you find it you and a helper can slack the halyard and pull the sail down. It may take a bit of effort. Unless there is a jam on the sheave - which is possible - it should come down. The sail comes off the extrusion a foot or two above the drum where the groove ends. Be careful to tie off the tail of the halyard so you don't lose it up the mast. Of course I don't have to tell you that this is done with the sail unfurled, in calm conditions with wind hopefully from in front of the boat.
If it ends up that a trip up the mast is necessary, take all Rx'ed precautions and then some. Better yet, pay a pro to do it.
Where do you cleat the 185% to? The dingy?

Jul 23, 2014
Andrew,
Thank you fro such a quick response. I was thinking there was a jib halyard that I needed to use to get it down. I was going to leave it furled and do it myself (only because I am a single sailor, but I have helpful friends), but your insightful wisdom has made me change my thought process; I do believe in being very safety conscious as I enjoy the life I have. As far as cleating the 185%, I am unsure as of yet. The 165% is cleated off in the middle part of the cockpit, so yes, you may be correct that I would have to cleat it that far back, time will tell. :)

Again, thank you!
Charles

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
What brand furler do you have? If you don't know or can't tell post a pic, someone here will be able to tell you either how to do it or point you to a link for the manufacturers instructions.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Without a doubt, the head of the jib is attached to its own halyard. If it is not, the only thing I can surmise is that at some point when the jib was raised, the halyard jammed in the sheave and parted. Hopefully, that is not the situation.
If you have to send someone up the mast, or go up yourself, make absolutely sure that the halyard you are using is safe.
That said, if the jib halyard is present, with the sail unfurled on a calm day, you should be able to release the halyard and gently slide the luff down the track by yourself. Just don't lose the tail end of the jib halyard up the mast.

Jul 23, 2014
All great information. I have ordered new main halyards and new JIB halyard and will replace when I get the JIB down to replace as well. Awesome information guys. Absolutely love the sailing community!

Charles

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
If you have a CDI furler, it has an internal halyard. Rope goes up one side of furler and down the other. You will need to attach a longer rope to the end of it to get it down. Unfurl the sail, attach rope to lose end of internal halyard and physically pull down on foot of sail at the clew. reverse process to attach new sail.