1980 Wilcox Headmate head

Jun 5, 2009
2 Hunter 170 Southampton, NY
Hi,

I have a Wilcox HeadMate head on my 1980 Mariner36. I’m guessing it’s original, but it is in good condition and I never had a problem with it in the ten years I have own the boat. It had started to leak water around the pump handle. Thinking about replacing the entire pump assembly for $160 rather then trying to repair it with a rebuild kit. The other option is to buy a new Raritan PH II and just replace it. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Replace it with the PHII. The W-C hasn't been made in many many years. The PH II is a much better head and pump. Better made, easier to use, more efficient.

DJAY

Apr 16, 2018
Hunter 31 Saylorville Lake
Rebuilt a W C. In a few months had the pump handle leak as you describe. Replaced packing to get through the season and then replaced with a PHII. Like Dave and Stu said... Do it. NO comparison.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Out with old, in with the new..... get the Raritan... you won't be sorry.. You will be sorry if you waste $160 on an obsolete msd.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You got good advice from everyone! The PH II has been the top rated manual toilet since Raritan introduced it in 1983. The current version is the PH SuperFlush. Raritan PH SuperFlush Only the base has been modified to match the mounting bolt pattern for most other manual toilets. And btw... all marine toilets mount using lag bolts that you just have to back out...no nuts on 'em. You may need to replace the discharge fitting if you need a straight or 45 instead of the 90 that usually comes with it...and you may also need a slightly longer flush water intake line. In fact, if your hoses are anywhere near as old as your W-C Headmate, it's prob'ly way past time to replace all of 'em.

Fwiw, you might want to check out the link in my signature...it includes an entire chapter on how to replace a toilet, tank and plumbing..and If you follow the directions it won't be a nasty stinky job.

--Peggie

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I am contemplating replacing my Wilcox Crittenden with a Raritan 25M00 Freshwater flush manual head. Does anyone have experience with this model Raritan? I can buy it for close to the same price as the PH Superflush and have adequate pressurized fresh water.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Go for it! The Raritan Fresh Head FRESH_HEAD Promo Sheet is the only MANUAL toilet designed to use onboard pressurized fresh water. It's been several years since Raritan introduced it and I have yet to hear of any problems with it. I questioned your saying you can get it for close to same price as the PH SuperFlush 'cuz I've never seen a price that wasn't at least $100 higher...so of course I had to check that out...and you're right--you can! So I'll repeat it: go for it...you'll love it!

To connect flush water, just tee into the cold water line to the head sink using a shutoff valve instead of just tee. This lets you shut off the water to the toilet if you need to without having to turn off water to the whole boat.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you read the Fresh Head promo sheet, you'll see that the user controls the lever that brings in flush water, so the amount is up to the user. That said, there are a couple of caveats:

1. ALWAYS bring about a quart of water ahead of solids unless you want to use a gallon to rinse the bowl. (An aside to viewers who don't have a toilet that isn't capable of bringing water into the bowl and holding it: use a cup from the sink..and make sure your joker valve isn't too worn to let water remain in the bowl.)

2. Unless you want to deal with waste buildup in the toilet discharge line, always use at least a liter/quart to flush anything.

Here's the owners manual that I should have included in my previous reply Raritan Fresh Head owner's manual It includes installation, operation and maintenence instructions.

--Peggie