1980 Universal 11hp, saltwater cooled - worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Craig

I am seriously looking at a 1980 Catalina 30 with a 11hp Universal Diesel. I am worried about the condition of the engine due to the saltwater. What should I ask the surveyor and broker about the engine? Is a 1980 ready to be replaced? Will a surveyor find anything or should I have a mechanic look at it? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Both

Surveyors are generally not mechanics & vice versa. I'd have the surveyor check it out, which he'd do normally anyway. He may find all sorts of problems (broken motor mounts, bad packing gland, bent shaft, etc.) or none at all. If you're satisfied enough with what the surveyor says to really consider buying it, ask him for a referral to a mechanic. He may not have anybody but it'd be a good start. The mechanic would then be able to dig into the guts & get a good idea of its condition. Diesels are really known for their longevity, so if it was well cared for the liklihood is good that it's ok. You may have to change hoses, filters, glow plugs, etc but that's easy and cheap compared to a new engine! Good luck! LaDonna

B

Bob Camarena

Exhaust Piping

You should probably expect to replace the piping fom the exhaust manifold to the water lift muffler. It's made up of standard plumbing parts, Original was steel, bronze is good for replacement. My '81 was a freshwater boat and the exhaust piping was almost rusted through while the engine and exhaust manifold were fine. Replacement was not difficult, but took some time and skinned knuckles. Dick Dickens' Tech Manual addresses replacement. Check out the C-30 Association home page for how to order it. It is a compiliation of the tech articles on the C-30 published in the "Mainsheet"(Catalina Assoc. Magazine). The Tech Manual is an indispensable tool for an owner or prospective owner.

S

STLBRASS@AOL.COM

11 hp engine

i have the same engine on my 1981 c-30. I spent over $6000 to have it completely overhauled ,with a new prop shaft also, by a competent mechanic. The engine now runs beautifully, but it is underpowered at times. . The cost of a 20 plus horsepower engine may be over $10,000 installed. The key for me was the purchase price allowed me to afford the work. The boat cost $15,000. Good luck!

J

James

Universal 5411

Craig, The first question you should ask yourself is how are you going to use the boat? The 5411's HP rating is fine if you seldom motor (i.e. sail alot) or only use it as an auxiliary to get in and out of you slip or if you're going to be a live-aboard. If you plan on cruising where you will eventually have to power into headseas or winds. Then the 5411 will be underpowered for the Catalina 30. I had a 5411 swinging a 3RH13X11 prop, and in anything but slack water the boat was a slug. But, you know what? The 5411 was a whole $400 cheaper than an M3-20 in 1982! Also, some racers opted for the 5411 because it was a little lighter than its bigger brother. If you decide you can live with the 5411 afterall because someone is going to give you the boat, then here's some additional itmes to consider; 1. Check to see if the freeze plugs have been replaced. Early models (1980 is early) had a problem with steel plugs. See Dick Dickens tech manual. 2. Be aware that the cooling system operates backwards from anything you've ever seen. The thermostat actually closes when the temperature rises to allow raw water to enter at the blending -T. 3. Because of the design of the cooling system, the motor is prone to impeller failure. 4. Because of the age of the boat, the motor probably needs a head gasket. Also, the raw water pump should be replaced if use is greater than 500 hours. Stick with an exact replacement; the pump is a Sherwood. 5. The fuel pump is engine driven on the starboard side of the motor. 6. Catalina coupled the motor to a Federal driveline dampner to smooth things out. Mine was galled to the propshaft head and had to cut the shaft to get apart. 7. This motor is really underpowered for the Catalina 30. When you look at the HP curves for the motor, the max output is 12 HP. Take into account the HP taken off to spin the alternator (and other mechanical losses) and there is really approx. 6 HP available to spin the shaft. 8. Because the motor is raw-water cooled, you don't have the ability to make hot water via the water heater. This may seem a minor point, depends on your cruising use.

Status
Not open for further replies.