1980 Renault RC8D Wiring

Nov 17, 2020
Hunter 27 Stockton Sailing Club
Hi, I have the wiring schematics from the manual but they are extremely hard to follow. I put a new battery in and fried the wire going from the starter to the alternator. Replaced the wire and now I'm getting smoke from the little harness at the front of the alternator. I feel like I have something crossed the wrong way. Can someone post pics of their alternator and starter wiring so I can compare? Getting frustrated. I have the mechanic coming Thursday but would rather not spend $100/hour if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
First ascertain that the alternator is not shorted; remove and take it to an automotive electric shop to have it tested.

Jun 27, 2020
Hunter 37C Near Chicago
So the pic with the burned up wires is your starting point yes? And then you replaced the red wire from the starter to the B+ post on the alternator? And then you hook up the battery and things start smoking again? If all of this is true then you have a dead short in your alternator.

Nov 17, 2020
Hunter 27 Stockton Sailing Club
So the pic with the burned up wires is your starting point yes? And then you replaced the red wire from the starter to the B+ post on the alternator? And then you hook up the battery and things start smoking again? If all of this is true then you have a dead short in your alternator.
Close. All is accurate except the smoke is now coming from a different place.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Did you make any other changes when you replaced the battery?

In those photos it really looks like the wire between the starter and alternator is connected a ground lug at the alternator but positive at the starter solenoid. That's a dead short.

BTW the pulley is normally on the front side of the alternator and the wiring on the rear.

Last edited: