1980 O'Day 30 Engine HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

Having a bit of trouble sorting out the HP of the diesel of my newly acquired O'Day 30. Just closed on a 1980 O'Day 30 which was advertised as being equipped with a Sea Water cooled Universal 16 HP Diesel. However, I have been thumbing through the Operation and Maintenance Manual for the (Universal Atomic) Diesel which came withthe boat, and it covers four Model Numbers apparently from the 1980 timeframe, including a 5411, 5416, 5424 and a 5432. These model numbers include in their last two digits the HP of the model. (Stay tuned, I'm getting to the punch line) Well, per this manual the only engine of the four covered which is sea water cooled is the 5411 (as in the 11 HP) model, with the other three being fresh water cooled. The manual is not dated and is unencumbered by any previous owner's notations, so its not altogether clear that the manual actually covers the engine that's in the boat. Does anyone have a clue as to whether Universal made a sea cooled 16 HP back in 1980? Any 1980 O'Day 30 owners out there? Was the cooling system perhaps an option, fresh water versus sea water cooled? What few 30 foot O'Days I have seen listed for sale from the 1980 timeframe all seem to have 16 HP (or there abouts) diesels shown in their specs. And, with a boat of her size, 16 HP would of course be far more preferable. This is not to mention some problems I may have the broker even in the likelihood that it was an honest mistake. I'll be eyeballing the engine further to see if there is any obvious marking of its HP and model number and, if needed, a check with Universal/Westerbeke is also in the offing. But, in the interim, any insights would be welcome. Fair Winds, Jim

J

Jim

Problem Solved. Duh!!!

Whoops! Contrary to my closely held belief, my Universal 16 HP diesel is in fact fresh water cooled afterall. All things are now in sweet synchronisity once again. Fair Winds, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.