1980 Hunter 33 sail replacement and jib trim suggestions/advice???

Feb 20, 2020
Hunter 33 Austin, TX
My Cherubini era 33' is due for new sails. Bought the boat last year, and have been living/sailing on the lake. Sails are both 20+ years old, heavy working Jib converted to roller reefing from original hank-on, and standard main w/ short battens and bolt rope foot. These are VERY baggy and all the downhaul, uphaul, vang, cunningham, stay tension, etc. won't flatten them. Loft tag has build date of 1991 or 1997... cant quite read it cause it's faded.

This boat gets sailed on an inland lake, winds between 10-15 typically, some lighter days, rarely any heavier days.

Looking for recommendations for jib/genoa sizes, lofts, is it worth going triradial as it's not going to be raced (not seriously anyways) Where's the sweet spot, and what to avoid (ie. 109, 120, 130% is great 140% terrible, 150+% have issues with spreaders, etc....)

Also, as well as any advice on jib sail trim.... anyone try in-haulers to get better slot width on standard 100% jib since the jib sheets go to snatch blocks on the toe rails??... or has anyone tried running a jib sheets inside of the shrouds? obviously not genoa sheets.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..............These are VERY baggy and all the downhaul, uphaul, vang, cunningham, stay tension, etc. won't flatten them..................Looking for recommendations for jib/genoa sizes, lofts, is it worth going triradial as it's not going to be raced (not seriously anyways) Where's the sweet spot, and what to avoid (ie. 109, 120, 130% is great 140% terrible, 150+% have issues with spreaders, etc....
Welcome to the forum!!

Yep time to replace your sails. You can replace them with crosscut dacron or spend a bit more for tri-radial that minimize stretch. I have always bought crosscut dacron but just replaced my 15 year old sails with tri-radial cruising laminate. I have a 105% jib for San Francisco Bay. The jib size should match the sailing conditions where you sail. What size jib do you have and it is adequate or are you overpowered with it?

As far as sail lofts you have the option of going to Bartlett Sails in Austin (link below) OR purchase sails form a loft outside the are, which will likely require you to take measurements per loft requirements to properly size the sails. Lofts outside your area include UK Halsey, Doyle, North, Quantum just to name a few.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My Cherubini era 33' is due for new sails. Bought the boat last year, and have been living/sailing on the lake. Sails are both 20+ years old, heavy working Jib converted to roller reefing from original hank-on, and standard main w/ short battens and bolt rope foot. These are VERY baggy and all the downhaul, uphaul, vang, cunningham, stay tension, etc. won't flatten them. Loft tag has build date of 1991 or 1997... cant quite read it cause it's faded.

This boat gets sailed on an inland lake, winds between 10-15 typically, some lighter days, rarely any heavier days.

Looking for recommendations for jib/genoa sizes, lofts, is it worth going triradial as it's not going to be raced (not seriously anyways) Where's the sweet spot, and what to avoid (ie. 109, 120, 130% is great 140% terrible, 150+% have issues with spreaders, etc....)

Also, as well as any advice on jib sail trim.... anyone try in-haulers to get better slot width on standard 100% jib since the jib sheets go to snatch blocks on the toe rails??... or has anyone tried running a jib sheets inside of the shrouds? obviously not genoa sheets.
My last set of sails: 135% dacron triradial, crosscut dacron main with four full battens and loose foot. I did not do laminates as no sailmaker would guarantee no mildewing...After seven years of coastal cruising and occasional racing, the only thing I'd change is go to a 130% if not a 125%, ie wanting to reduce the size of the jib is a far more frequent concern than wishing it were bigger...

Sailing closehauled, you need to be able to trim any sail inboard, or you widen your tacking angle. If you dont have an inboard track for the small jib, you want to install one if you care about sailing performance. Running the sheet inside the shrouds is fine as needed. On my CS 36T, the sheet for the 100% had to trim between the lower and upper shrouds. If you are trimming the sheet inside the shrouds, when you bear off your course, you get the usual jib shape payback from re-sheeting to the rail and forward, as that also resolves the shroud interference.