1980 Hunter 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2013
Hunter 30 Ithaca
Am looking at a 1980 Hunter 30. In pretty good shape but has been dry for the last 2 years or more due to owners health. Dealer tells me the engine has low compression but they put some stuff in it and it seems ok. Hull looks good but they have just replaced the propeller shaft and bracket. Seems to be well done and was done professionally. Any insight into this model/year would be appreciated, good, bad or ugly...... What ought I be paying particular attention to? For example, I know the Person 26 had an issue with the rudder bushings and when I bought one of those I looked hard at her rudder.... Any common issues with a 1980 Hunter 30? BTW, anyone in the Ithaca area looking for a terrific 1974 Pearson 26 in excellent condition please let me know.....

Thanks in advance.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Hunter 30

Check the standing rig look for "j" hooks and rusty swag fittings. Also check the keel bolts. With any 30 yr old boat don't break the bank save money for repairs they will be some Those boats are available all over for $10,000 all day have a reserve for sails running rigging and a motor .

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
What "stuff" does a dealer put in a problematic engine to make it all better and was this guy a former used car salesman?

My point is you need to be a little less trusting in such statements

May 21, 2009
Hunter 30 Smithfield, VA
I have a 79 H30. I can't say a enough good things about it. Strong, stable, comfortable and relatively fast. A frequent problem is the mast support under the floor deteriorates. Pop the hatch to the bilge and post a picture of the "I" beam under the compression post. Look on deck to see if the area at the base of the mast seems to be sunken. It isn't a big problem and is easily repairable - just something to check really. Not a show stopper but a price point.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Engines are a very expensive item if they need rebuilding or replacing. As Don said, magic elixirs don't repair low compression. A diesel engine requires very high compression for ignition and power. Any substance poured into the engine simply coats the rings and artifically raised compression and as soon as it is burned off the compression returns to its previous low level.
You really need a surveyor to survey the boat with critical attention on the engine compression.
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.