1980 c and c 32 refrdge question

Nov 9, 2017
c and c 32 new york
not sure if we have coldplate or evaporator plat. but think it needs replacing. have a 43 wat solar panel, and I am thinking of adding a small generator . We have a 2 battery house bank plus 1 starter battery. We are normally one or 2 day cruisers in long island sound. Any suggestion on how I should proceed? Many thanks, Dan Mc

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We are going to need more information. What brand of refrigeration? Is the refrigeration engine driven or 12v? What kind and how large are the house batteries? How old are the batteries? Other than the solar panel, how are you charging the batteries? When cruising do you anchor out or go to a marina with shore power?

To start, the 43w solar panel is totally inadequate. 12v refrigeration generally uses about 80 ah or 960 wh a day. To support this load will require around 300 w of solar. For short trips and with a larger battery bank, you could get away with 200w which would require heading back to a marina and shore power every couple of days. The OEM alternator on your engine is not capable of providing much support.

Nov 9, 2017
c and c 32 new york
Thanks. Not sure of brans, but I think it is original, but not sure if c and c included it in the new boat build. We ar in Florida for a while so can not check make of fridge. It is powered by alternator when we run the engine, rarelu use shore power. We gnerally only turn refridge on when we are motoring. Doubt that I have ever left it on without engine running. Our batteries are new, but memory of amps etc inot good, but U believe grp 31. I doubt I will get a bigger solar array. I am just hoping to supplement the input somehow. But not sure if I have a cold plate or evaporator plate, and whether one type is better than the other.Thanks for info