1980 28' Repower Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Austin

I have a 1980 28 footer that I believe originally had an OMC Saildrive. All engine components had been removed and the hull sealed before I bought the boat. I now use a Honda 15hp to get around but am interested in refitting with components compatible with the original design. Anyone out there have opinions, suggestions on this kind of repowering project? Thanks for your input. Bob Austin, The Bobalew

D

David Hirtle

1980 28' repower

My boat was one of the original boats to go from the Atomic 4 to the 11hp Universal 5411/raw water cooled. I would definately step up a few horsepower. Since you are essentially starting from scratch, bed et al, get what you want and enjoy!

J

Jed

Me Too!

Me Too! I have recently aquired an O'Day 28 with no engine and would like to know what my options are with respect to repowering her! What brands, HP, and ease of fit options are there?

B

Bobalew

Hey Jed

Jed, This may seem a bit convoluted, but I'm the son-in-law of Bob, following his quest for the next engine. Since not much else is going on with his query so far, and as you didn't specify inboard or outboard I thought I'd throw my two cents in. The fact is the Bobalew gets around right now rather well with a Honda 15hp four cycle on a stern bracket. You may already know this, but here's my argument for an outboard. The Honda is a reliable, quiet, efficient engine, requires no fuel-oil mixture, retracts from the water, thus reducing drag and the corrosive effects of salt water. It is easy to maintain and winterize, and because it pivots it becomes a "rudder turbo charger" making the boat very maneuverable under power. Further, if fouled it can be much more readily cleared than a through-hull power plant. I know from personal experience, as I recently had to dive repeatedly on my prop (I have a 34 Morgan with a Yanmar diesel)to remove a hunk of hawser that probably was deposited by one of the countless tugs that ply the Long Island Sound. Let's see, the negatives. In serious chop the engine can get lifted right out of the water, causing it to over-rev. Bob also complains about having to reach over the transom to adjust engine speed.Acknowledged. If anyone reads this I'd love for them to take up the argument for an inboard refit, if only to help me feel smug about my Yanmar. We know it's going to cost a chunk, but how much? Is a rebuilt engine a viable alternative? What brands will go in the well? How much might a used refit cost? Where can you get them? That's all for now. Bob's SOL

J

Jed

Thanks for the input.

Dear Bob(sol) I hear you loud and clear regarding an outboard. However, I am attempting to rebuild her to as close to original as possible. I would like to maintain the inboard diesel, for reasons of fuel storage, engine life, and also here in south florida, there are no winterization fears (Thank God, after living 20 years in Connecticut, I don't need those issues to deal with again!) My goal is to find out what options I do have for an inboard that will mount readily and provide me with the greatest amount of HP and reliability. Thanks again for the reply. Jed

B

Ben McAndrew

Engine

That doesn't sound like a bad Idea. I I were youi, I wouldn't have to mess around with a silly little outboard. (Plus, they are inconvenient and silly looking on a big boat like that) My father's OD28 has an inboard universal deisel. If it originally had a saildrive, you might have to put another one in due to space constraints. But all the 28's were designed the same, and there should be plenty of room for the deisel. I work at a boatyard in the summer, and it is my opinion that those old saildrives are a hunk of junk. they're just as bothersome as an outboare, and having the gas fumes in the cabin is dangerous. plus they're loud. Good luck with your quest. - BM

M

M. G.

Not a 2 stroke!

I am the owner of a 1980 O'day with a Zephyr Saildrive. Advantages: 1. Backs up very nice 2. Lots of horsepower in all conditions 3. Simple to maintain Disadvantages: 1. Very noisy 2. Smelly 3. Some cabin fumes 4. Mixing gas and oil 5. Horrible fuel economy 6. Explosion dangers 7. Stains the transom 8. OMC is out of business Mine is a 15 horse and when I priced a new Yanmar saildrive of similar dimensions and horsepower it would have cost to $8,000 for a new installed engine. If you did it yourself and looked for a more economical diesel engine you might save some money. I suppose that $8,000 was the upper end of repowering with a Saildrive. Whatever you do, get a diesel. You'll not be sorry. Good luck.

B

Bruce

How about a High Torque Electric: Really!!!

Clean, Efficiant, Powerful.... Slightly More $$ but well worth it in the long run... Give it a look... I have provided a web link.. http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

R

Rod Sheaffer

Repower

I bought a 28 oday 1979 that had a 18hp Yammar with 3 bladed Maxi Prop, put in her. It replaced the saildrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.