1979 O'Day 23 Bilge Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
I'm posting this on behalf of a fellow sailor at my marina. He launched his O'Day 23 on Sunday afternoon...by Monday morning the bilge had flooded and water was coming into his cabin. He pumped out and we could see a little bit of water trickling in from what looks like a screw hole. It's just to the port side of the centerboard trunk in his bilge. We thought that maybe the screw hole was drilled too deep and punctured the hull. We pulled the boat back onto the trailer and inspected the bottom but didn't find anything obvious.

Initially, I was thinking to enlarge the hole a bit by drilling through and then patch it but quickly realized that although water was coming in through this hole, it doesn't necessarily have to puncture the hull to let water in. It's possible that there is a leak somewhere else and that hole is just the escape path. I'm not familiar with the construction of the O'Day 23 so it's hard for me to guess where the possible leak locations may be. I don't know if there are any voids in that area of the boat where water could collect and then leak out the hole. There was no rain, so wherever the water is getting in it is below the waterline.

So, does anyone have an idea of what this leak could be and how best to track it down and repair it? Someone else at the marina had the idea of filling the bilge with dyed water and then watching for signs on the leak outside the boat. At this point the guys just wants to fix his boat and go sailing! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Where in relation to the centrboard trunk is the hole? If it is near the forward end, it may be one of the screws that hold the retaining plates for the CB pivot pin. The CB pivots on a plastic (Nylon?) pin that is inserted from the underside of the keel and held in by a pair of wedges that are in turn held in place by a pair of stainless-steel plates that are secured by 2-3 stainless-steel screws. Perhaps on of those screws needs to be resealed?

This setup was used on all of the O'DAY K/CB models [except the 1971-74 23 and the early 1973 20, and perhaps early (1975) 25] as well as the 19, the DS II (1980-85), and the DSIII. I know on the DS II sometimes one of the screws could leak. I've included some pictures, they are from a Day Sailer II, but wil lat least give you an idea of what I'm refering to.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I don't have any screws visible in the bilge area just around the CB trunk. However, I imagine if I drilled a hold there it could easily pierce the trunk below the water line since the board swings up into that area. Wondering what the screw could be? If it's like my boat (1980) it is not going to be for the CB; those plates are screwed into the bottom surface of the shoal keel.

Sep 21, 2011
Oday 23 Traverse City
I noticed on my 79 O Day 23 that I was taking on water. After a day in the water I experienced the same issue however my leak was come from the transom. The bottom rudder mount had pulled away slightly letting water in. Lucky it was slightly above the water line but when under sail it dips below allowing more water in. Might be a good place to check as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.