1979 Newport MKII Cockpit drains

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Hello All, Can anyone tell me why the forward cockpit drains go directly to through hulls below the water line? The aft ones exit through the transom. What are the physiics here?
Thanks,
Buzz the new owner of the Restless Wind

sd1953

Nov 8, 2012
Endeavour 38 Center Cockpit Ft. Pierce
Buzz,
I have a center cockpit and my two cockpit drains go straight down to 1 1/2 " through hulls. The physics won't be any different in draining the cockpit. The water height ABOVE the drain point will force the water out. The forward through hull drain will have water in the hose up to the water line. The forward drain should be valved at the hull as it is an opening in the hull BELOW the water line. The aft drains will be empty (except in a following sea when they may get some water up in them). How close are the aft drains to the water line?

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Thanks for the response. The aft drains are just above the wate line, gravity fed. I bought this boat with 5 " staning water over the cabin floor,after 4 days of steady rain. due to some unattended cabin doors Also it hadn't been loved at all for 6 yrs. I haulled the boat for bottom paint and an engine ovehaul.

Thanks again for your help

Jan 15, 2011
Newport 30MKII Bayview ID
My 78 MKII is rigged the same way...I have a little standing water in the drain by the thru-hull when I am at the dock, but once I get going, it is "pulled out" by the water passing under the hull...Up here in the north country, where things freeze up pretty hard, I usually drain as much as I can out, then fill the forward cockpit drains with anti-freeze for the winter and shut the thru hull that is below the water line...the rear drains take care of the snow melt...
Good Luck