1979 Hunter 27 Plumbing and Head

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
This is my 1st sailboat and would like to get sailing sooner than later but would like to start having a plan on updating the plumbing system. I need to replace the freshwater storage bag 1st and supply lines and possibly the head by next season.
I will primarily will be doing day sails and getting myself reacquainted with sailing this summer and will be using water bottles for my potable water and those camper bags for any waste materials.

What is the life expectancy on marine plumbing systems? Trying to make sense of what might be salvageable and what is not. Here is the "good bad and the ugly". 1st off I removed triangular 150 liter water storage bag from the bow it is in bad shape with mildew inside and outside of the bag, smelly discoloration ectera. Putting this under ugly and bad column and threw it in the dumpster already I think all the supply lines are toast as well, visable mold and hose is no longer supple. Looking to replace with PEX or similar rubber hose that is on there now.

Concerning the head, probably the biggest expense. Is my electra magic 80 toilet salvageable, not sure on age? I am hoping this is in the good column. Not sure if it falls under toilet or porta potty but I do not have a black water tank and it appears the waste is contained within a reservoir of the toilet itself but it's not removable for me to pickup and dump out. This particular model has an electric flush to the self contained tank and then waste water line is connected to a hand pump and then waste line goes to a y valve to be sucked out or pumped overboard I imagine. I was able to download the old owners manual and parts list. I was able to clean up the toilet pretty well and found a new seat in a box from the previous owner. What should I look at to determine if toilet still has life. I image some internal gaskets grommets and flush mechanism may have to be replaced. I have no intention of installing a black water tank as the boat never had one. My marina has a pump out so I like the idea of keeping existing toilet and pumping out if possible . I am in the Chesapeake so I will never discharge in the water.

I was planning on keeping both sinks and faucets in galley and head. I have two Jabsco pumps on board I think one is for freshwater washdown and other is water supply to faucets not sure if they work yet.
I would appreciate any feed back, I am trying to be on a budget but understand having a sailboat costs money. I do not require top of the line products for a 40 year old and prefer function over style but don't want to cut corners and create safety issues and sink the boat. BTW I replaced all bilge and scupper lines already. I have done some light plumbing work on my house so have a general understanding of what's involved. Below are some pics of what I am currently working with. Thank you!
20200601_195424.jpg
20200601_200534.jpg
20200601_200325.jpg
20200329_192541.jpg

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
Also on a side note I have had a few 90 degree days and have been crawling around the boat and updating electrical lines and there have been NO off sewer smells so hoping the sewage lines are in the good column. The water line was from a fresh water flood when it was dry docked.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It would appear the head is still in production, so parts and manuals should be available from Thetford.

If the hoses are moldy and ugly, time for new hoses. Traditional reinforced vinyl hoses work as does Pex, each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The Thetford ElectroMagic is a recirculating toilet that holds a combined total of 5 gallons of waste and water to which a nasty formaldehyde based chemical is added in the same tank. "Recirculating" means exactly that...you get to see--and SMELL--all the previous flushes in the bowl each time you use it.If it's not pumped out daily, it really stinks, especially in hot weather. I've never known anyone who's had one who didn't hate it! If that's not enough to convince you that you don't want to keep it, it's also an electric toilet. Here's the owners manual for it Theford Electra Magic owners manual

But you don't have to spend the money for a toilet, holding tank and all the related plumbing--not to mention all the storage space you'd lose with it...and prob'ly the expense of adding a thru-hull for the flush water intake too. Many owners of smaller boats have what's called an "MSD" portapotty and love it. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space. Check out the DometicSeaLand 975 MSD...available from the sbo.com online store.

As for your hoses...replace them. 10 years is the average MAX lifespan for any hose because plastics and rubber dry out and become hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting. You won't need but a few feet of pumpout and vent hose, so go with top quality hose that's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant...I recommend this one RaritanSaniFlex hose Defender has it for about $8/ft.

I'll be glad to answer any questions!

--Peggie

Nov 5, 2019
Hunter 27 Jones Creek
The Thetford ElectroMagic is a recirculating toilet that holds a combined total of 5 gallons of waste and water to which a nasty formaldehyde based chemical is added in the same tank. "Recirculating" means exactly that...you get to see--and SMELL--all the previous flushes in the bowl each time you use it.If it's not pumped out daily, it really stinks, especially in hot weather. I've never known anyone who's had one who didn't hate it! If that's not enough to convince you that you don't want to keep it, it's also an electric toilet. Here's the owners manual for it Theford Electra Magic owners manual

But you don't have to spend the money for a toilet, holding tank and all the related plumbing--not to mention all the storage space you'd lose with it...and prob'ly the expense of adding a thru-hull for the flush water intake too. Many owners of smaller boats have what's called an "MSD" portapotty and love it. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.

A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space. Check out the DometicSeaLand 975 MSD...available from the sbo.com online store.

As for your hoses...replace them. 10 years is the average MAX lifespan for any hose because plastics and rubber dry out and become hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting. You won't need but a few feet of pumpout and vent hose, so go with top quality hose that's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant...I recommend this one RaritanSaniFlex hose Defender has it for about $8/ft.

I'll be glad to answer any questions!

--Peggie
Thank you Peggy, I have reading all your posts, BTW where can I buy your book? I saw it on Amazon but rather get it from you directly if possible.

Thanks
Chris

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I appreciate that, but I don't sell anything, not even my own book. But sbo.com does...and buying it from them helps to support this site. See the link in my signature.

--Peggie