1979 33 Water Heater

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston
I just pulled the old worn out water heater. Should I replace or just forget it. I have a marine unit but not sure if I want to replumb.the boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I just pulled the old worn out water heater. Should I replace or just forget it. I have a marine unit but not sure if I want to replumb.the boat.
Well that seems like a personal decision. Do you use hot water? Do you plan to keep the boat for a long time or sell it in the not distant future? If you are keeping the boat then totally up to you. If you plan on selling it, I think having hot water available would make the boat more saleable.

Why would you have to replumb the boat? Why couldn't you use the existing plumbing?

dj

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I replaced the old, original water heater when I repowered eleven years ago. Really a cheap upgrade. No replumbing involved. I wish though, that I would have taken the time to replace all the hoses when everything was opened up. Shouda, Woulda, Coulda. Oh well, next owner.

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston
Well that seems like a personal decision. Do you use hot water? Do you plan to keep the boat for a long time or sell it in the not distant future? If you are keeping the boat then totally up to you. If you plan on selling it, I think having hot water available would make the boat more saleable.

Why would you have to replumb the boat? Why couldn't you use the existing plumbing?

dj
Most because the old hoses are bad.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Suggest that you replace your hoses. This joy is what owning an old boat is all about.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
It's not difficult to replace hoses. I just did all fresh water hoses in my boat. If you can do the work yourself it isn't too expensive either. I think the biggest difficulty for me was deciding to just bite the bullet and do it... That part only took me a year to decide -LOL. Now that I did it, I've found out the holding tank has to be changed, so next spring I'll attack that. By the time I'm done I'll have build an entire new water system. RoyS just said it - the joy of owning an old boat.

If you are ever going to sell the boat, a complete working system is preferred.

dj

drcov

Jul 7, 2011
Puffin 14 Charleston

dj
Suggest that you replace your hoses. This joy is what owning an old boat is all about.
After killing over 250 palmetto bugs when I got it, seems likel too replace 40 year old hoses.