1978 S25 Traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeD

Aug 17, 2010
Seidelmann S25 Quantico VA
We recently purchaed a 1978 S25 that needs some work. We need information on the proper way to rig the Traveler. The existing lines appear to be too long, and we dont know how to create the proper tension, etc. for smooth movement. Are there any diagrams or pics that could help. We are new to sailing, and this is our first sailboat. In the photo the mainsheets have been disconnected. We will try to take another pic to show all of the Traveler, including the cleats on either side of the Traveler. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's how mine is set up... pretty simple... a cleat and a small block at the end of the track is all you need for each side. Use the control lines to set the car's position...the windward control line is active... the leeward inactive.. that's why there are two... it will make more sense to you when you go sailing. Notice in the second pic the windward line is taut and the leeward is slack... Enjoy.

Attachments

SergeD

Aug 17, 2010
Joe; Thanks for your help. It looks like we will have to replace existing cleats, but it doest't appear to be a problem. Take Care.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
You finally getting that boat in the water? Good for you. You have a Nicro Fico traveler system. Sort of antiquated, but it still works. From your photo what you need is an eye strap at each end of the traveler an inch above the top of the traveler and just a little ahead of the traveler. The line dead ends there and then goes through the block attached to the traveler car. It then returns back to the end of the traveler to a block that is either attached to an eyestrap, or you can use a halyard lift block (Harken and Schaefer make some) which will route the traveler control line to a cam cleat which can be mounted on the side of the seat just below the corner where the inside of your knee is. Put an eye strap on the cleat so that it stays right at the cleat (you don't have to chase it off the bottom of the cockpit floor), yet runs free when you tack. You do this with two control lines one port and one the same way on the starboard side. You do this on both ends of the traveler. Or, you can make it one continuous line that starts at the eye strap on the starboard side, goes through the block on the car, back to the block which routes it to the cleat and then across the cockpit through the fairlead atop the cleat on the port side, which then routes through the block just aft of the traveler, then through the block on the car and then to the eye strap on the port side where it dead ends. Hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I will send a drawing. But it won't be until next week as I will be away all weekend sailing.

SergeD

Aug 17, 2010
Thanks Barnacle Bill. We continue to learn more aboutthe proper use of the Traveler that was not covered in our basic course. Your info will be helpful as we rig the Traveler.
SergeD

Status
Not open for further replies.