1978 Lancer 28' rigging ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tim

i just bought a 78 lancer 28. the mast is un-steped. and ther is absolutlly no rigging or hardware. "bummer". were can i find info on what length's of rigging's i need. and were, and how to run them ? i do luckly have the mast the boom and spredders. and im new to boats. this is my first. please help. im located in key west.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Rigging

When I got my L25 I was missing the lower shrouds. I tried to have some made up, but it is tough to measure and I bought the wrong size wire and toggles that fit into the mast. I planned to have them made up and then was going to cut them to length and attach them using sta-lock lower fittings. Long story short I have about $300 worth of oversize hardware (swaged on tees and 3/16 wire, if I recall...should have been 1/8...rigging on the 25 and 28 should be similar) I never ended up using. I did measure the wire with a cheap set of calipers, but still blew it, as the 1 x 19 is tough to measure. One of the particularly painful things to hear was that the swage on toggle ends are tough to come buy. If you can't find the exact type you will have to modify the slots in the mast. It may prove easier to surface mount some tangs for the lower if that proves the case. There is really no escaping having a competent rigger look at your boat and figure out what you need if there is no hope of getting the originals. In my case I tracked down the previous owner and it turned out he had the original lowers. See the link below. Torrensen in Key West has a 25% off sale and a free consult. Bob

T

Tim

re. rigging

Thank you.. i know so little about rigging that i know even really know what your talking about.. lol, but i understand. thanks

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Your welcome

Anything I can do to save anyone else money is a plus. If the rigger tells you that you need 3/16 with tee end fittings give me a holler...I'll send you mine if it seems like they will fit, but if I had to bet, your rig is almost identical to mine (L25) and is probably 1/8th not 3/16th. They are just paper weights to me. I should throw the darn things up on ebay. There is an issue with the tee balls (Gibb) Lancer used...the originals aren't hefty enough, but the replacements are hard to come by or won't fit your mast slots without modification...it has been a few years so I can't recall quite what the story was. There are slots part way up the mast that have steel inserts. The tees are swaged onto the ends of each lower shroud. The tees go in at a 90 degree angle then rotate to lock into place. I just lucked out as I finally nagged the previous owner enough that he looked and found the original lowers in the locker of his new boat. If you get in a bind, suggest that the rigger mount some plain old tangs (slightly bent tabs) on your mast in place of using the original slots and tee balls. It is probably a cheap out and will solve the problem I am talking about if you run into it. It should be cake for the rigger to make this change, but that is just my novice opinion. Best of luck, Bob

Oct 26, 2007
Dynamic Plastics 13 Westminster, Colorado
ahh I can help you.

Sorry I'm ten days late! I have a 1978 Lancer 28 sitting right down the street. I can measure the dimensions you need, as my boat just came out of layup and refit. I'll get back to you in the morning after I have a chance to measure them. If you haven't stepped the mast, be aware that this mast is like nothing I have ever put up before. It is (somehow) the hardest and scariest mast I've ever had to raise. We have a Beneteau 323 on a trailer too, and that mast went up easier than the Mk III 28. It takes at least three people; one on a crane, one on deck to balance and secure the toggles, and one in the cockpit. We attached the halyard for the main to the boom, cleated it, and used two sets of racheting mainsheet blocks (attached from the end of the boom to the rear toerail) along with the crane as a safety measure to pull it up. 30 years, and both owners agree the mast and rigging is scary to lift, but tough as a tank when it is set properly. I've been caught in gusts that made every line on the boat howl, whistle and groan, and never met trouble. If this is your first sailboat, it is a good choice for the Gulf as it is forgiving. I've been off the coast of Texas in terrible storms that would make you leave pucker marks on the anti-skid and she's tanked right through under storm sails. You can overcanvass it to where the winches are in the water, and at no point she'll go out of control. Our beneteau with two rudders would loose helm when heeled over in high winds during races. First boat advice - I would suggest that you pick up a drogue chute, trysail, and storm jib. Check your USCG required gear, and take a short ASA course. Welcome to the money pit! Robert Foster "I just saved a bunch on my car insurance... By fleeing the scene!"

T

TIm

need help

yes plesase if you could get the measurmesnt that would be exclent.. who ever had the boat before me striped it also.. so i have a striped boat and a new to boats, boat owner.. so you can imagin how frustrating it is trying to source good info.. come to find out i done even have a cap on the mast, and im shure im missing other parts.. the rigger hasnt been out yet, hes so busy that he keeps pushing me back.. what would be great is to try and find a sunk or damaged L28 and strip its hardware.. if anyone knows im willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.