1978 hunter 25, should I buy?

Jan 29, 2013
Grampian G26 South Shore Harbnor
hello all,

I am looking for feedback on a boat I am looking to purchase tomorrow. She is a 1978 hunter 25 in fairly good condition. Specifics;

• No soft spots or blisters
  • Servicable main and jib
  • Bow and stern rails intact
  • Interior needs some tlc and re-cushion
  • Boat is dry, bilge dry
  • Needs bottom job
  • No motor included in sale, motor mount is present and in good shape
  • Standing and running righing in good shape
  • Mast and boom good
  • Compass bad, no electronics
  • Hatch and ports in good shape
  • No anchors or accessories
  • Lifelines good
  • Lighting unknown, assume bad
Boat is priced at $500. It seems that this is a good deal from what i have seen on the market, but i wanted to see what the community thought. I am willing and able to do all required work (except upholstery) myself. I will be using the boat to run the texas coast and sail the ditch to Florida. Ao what do youall think? Go or no-go? Thanks for your assistance.

Craig

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
My opinion should be taken with a gain of salt. I am a trailer sailor so this is how I evaluate a project purchase. I have purchased and flipped seven sailboats so I have developed this philosophy through trail and error (error = cost to me)

1) I think of the hull and rigging as FREE and I am not willing to pay anything for them. I can do fiberglass and paint work... minor carpentry and I can even replace bulkheads so, I'm not that worried about cosmetic things.
2) I am paying for the quality of the sails, outboard motor and the trailer.

So if you have no intention of trailering this boat, and the sails are good, you are already into this boat for about $3500 once you add a new outboard. If you need a trailer then you are into this boat for $6,500.

Other things to consider. If you just use LED puck lights, you do not need to rewire the interior. If you are going to need electronics, you are now into this boat for $9,500. Oh and you said you need a bottom job so if you are doing that yourself, you need a haul out ($300) and paint ($300) so you are now into this boat for $10,100. If you are hiring someone to do the bottom job, you are now into this boat for $11,000.

At the $9,000 level you are already talking about buying a turn-key boat ready to sail with everything on it that you need and want. I like working on boat so I might go for it if I had a trailer to put it on and an outboard came with the deal.

For example, I paid $900 for a Mac 22 that came with five very good sails (two mains -- one light air and one with two sets of reef points -- and three head sails for various wind conditions) a very nice trailer and an older but working 10 H.P. outboard. The interior was trashed. I changed that and sailed that boat all up and down the NC outerbanks.

Jan 29, 2013
Hi

Thanks for the response

I have a rebuilt evinrude 15hp 2 stroke with remote controls to use. (Long shaft). I also will be keeping the boat at the marina that it is at so no transport.

I intend to rewire for electronics myself

Craig

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Well if the sails are in good shape, then I think you have what you need.

I personally use a hand-held GPS so no wiring there.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If the sails are from 1978 they can't be good. I learned my lesson with my 1976 sails. New Main and headsail are $1500-$2000 for basic stuff.

Jan 29, 2013
I dont think the sails are original. Plus i have a leftover set from a grampian 26. I will check again though.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The way to look at it is to budget how much it would cost to get the boat into a desired sailing condition and then compare to ready to sail boats for sale in the market.. Price an engine, a battery bank and charger, navigation lights and electrical 12V panel, basic electronics VHF radio, depth sounder, navigation instruments, compass, anchor . Do you intend to trailer ($$$) or keep on a mooring or slip($$$)? How serviceable are the sails? How is the rudder. I'm not concerned about the $500 price tag, but understand that it will cost much more than that to dispose of it if for whatever reason the boat is not placed in sailing condition.