1977 O'Day 27. 1st Sailboat ever.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Sailing a 27 foot boat is not like kayaking. One needs to know the rules of the road. What does the exterior lighting system mean? what do the buoys mean? Who has the right of way? A book on piloting is in order. Or a Coast Guard Auxiliary Course be of help. There's a lot of open water out there, who knows what may happen to you. Be prepared.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
In Everett, you have a very good sailing resource in the Milltown Sailing Club. I few nights of crewing for one of the regular racers would give you a big leg up.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Thank you. Yes, atomic 4 rebuilt with 500 hours. She purrs. I'm excited to learn the ropes
Those would be "lines". Welcome aboard! You have a great sailing area. But planning is the key to a great day on the water as I'm sure you know from paddling that area. If you can find a copy of Wallace Ross' book, "Sail Power", new or used it is a great resource.

Apr 5, 2009
Those would be "lines".
"There are no ropes on a boat!!!":laugh::laugh::laugh: Everyone who has ever stepped on my boat has heard that at least once. :biggrin:

The other day as I was carrying all of my halyards and sheets into the laundry room for a good cleaning my wife said "So you have decided to clean all of your ropes?" with the utmost sincerity.:kick: :laugh:

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
Running Rigging, Sheets, Lines, Halyards etc. One goes to someone like New England Rope to purchase the stuff. I think your wife was right. It's rope until it is attached to its function, then it becomes whatever the assignment is.

Sail5

Mar 11, 2022
O'Day 27 Everett
Along those lines,
In all honesty I was referring to the saying, the old cliche "learning the ropes"
Which is applicable to being the "new guy" at anything.

Apr 5, 2009
Running Rigging, Sheets, Lines, Halyards etc. One goes to someone like New England Rope to purchase the stuff. I think your wife was right. It's rope until it is attached to its function, then it becomes whatever the assignment is.
Yep, that is why she had that twinkle in her eye! And the pie-biting grin.

Apr 5, 2009
Along those lines,
In all honesty I was referring to the saying, the old cliche "learning the ropes"
Which is applicable to being the "new guy" at anything.
Which is exactly why we are having some fun at your expense. Another thing which is applicable to being the "new guy" is that you get some of the ribbing that the old salts gave each of us when we were the New Guy.:dancing:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
"learning the ropes" is a sailor's term. your are correct sail5. a clipper ship would have upwards of 350 different line's names. the bosun would drill the deckhands constantly. at night in a blow, one would need to know which line to adjust from a command. the first time around.
:cool:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What's a manrope?

I believe the others are called ropes instead of lines because the don't move during their service. They aren't used to adjust something. The tiller rope seems to be an exception.

There seems to be an exception for every rule, except some rules. There are some rules that have no exception. Just proves another exception to a rule.

-Will

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Like the classical 'liar paradox' we learned in my logic class. The statement of a liar that they are lying: i.e. declaring that "I am lying". If the liar is indeed lying, then the liar is telling the truth, which means the liar just lied.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Like the classical 'liar paradox' we learned in my logic class. The statement of a liar that they are lying: i.e. declaring that "I am lying". If the liar is indeed lying, then the liar is telling the truth, which means the liar just lied.
Anyone who says, "I am lying." or "This statement is a lie." Etc. Is clearly lying.
If the intent of a lie is to mislead the listener into believing the truth of a statement that is not true or believing a true statement is not true, then a lie is meant to confuse truth with falsehood and the above statements clearly confuse and confound the listener, thus falling into the definition of a lie. Thus it is clear and not confusing at all that everything I said is not obfuscation, but simple, unconfused :poop:.

-Will

• Wow