1977 Catalina 22 - weight/keel weight/PHRF #?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rod

I am lookinginto buying my first Catalina 22. The owner says it weighs 1,800 lbs and keel weighs 550 lbs. The site on the Catalina Owners says the weight is 2,490 lbs! Can somebody tell me what is the real weight of '77 Catalina 22 as well as the keel weight (it has a retractable keel)? Boat has newer motor - 1993 Nissan 5 hp. Is this a good motor, are parts still available? Finally, how does this boat perform in sailing (at moderate wind) as compared to Hunter or O'Day or MacGregor? What are PHRF numbers for these boats? Does smaller PHRF number means faster boat? Is there any special week point(s) that I should pay close attention when buying this boat? I appreciate all answers, thank you

J

john renfro

boat

hello rod, no one can tell you what the exact weight of your boat or keel is because of changes to construction practices. the keels range from about 550 lbs. to about 650 lbs. it just depends on what you have. take the boat to a public scale and weigh it. CATALINA DIRECT ( in the owners handbook ) says " boats built befor '82 had an inherent weakness: forstay load was forward of the stem fitting's forward mounting bolts" and it is common to see the stem fittings pulled from the deck. they offer a retrofit for this so check the bow area. good luck john

R

rob

good classic boat

rod this is a good boat lots of fun to sail and swift ive sailed against mcgreggors sanjuan 23 and hunters the boat sails steady in moderate wind you might want to put a reef in if you are experiencing crippling leeward helm. clean bottom good bottom paint interlux vc17 with teflon thats what im using this season hope it slides good its suppost to increase hull speed by 10% !! happy sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.