1976 Macgregor 25 leaking windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Benson

I have leaking windows on my 1976 Macgregor/Venture 25. Do the windows have gaskets that I have to replace? Hint: These windows have a metal frame around them with screws to remove and access the panel from the inside. Thank you. Dan Benson flatpickindan@yahoo.com

J

Joel Jorgensen

Leaky windows

I had the same problen with my '78 mac 25. I totally removed the windows from the boat. Then disassemble the window completely. At this point, I had to determine if I wanted to replace the plexy glass. I choose not to. I wish now that I would have. Once I had the windows disassemble I gave them a really good cleaning. It took a lot, b/c they were very dirty. I removed all the old caulk, w/ caulk remover. Next, I reassembled the windows. I used Marine grade Silcone to seal the the edges. Here's the TRICK. Out line the plexy glass with some masking tape. This will give yor caulk lines straight edges. (Once you take things apart, you better understand what I am talking about, This same trick can be used when installing the windows back into the boat) Let the caulk start to dry, but before it gets hard pull the tape up very carefully. This will give you a professional looking result. If you have any more question email me at Joel_Jorgensen@excite.com

D

Doug Rodrigues

Something better than RTV

GE Latex sealer, the same stuff used in bathrooms is better than the RTV I used. It's less dense, easier to clean, and easier to control while applying. Whatever you do, DON'T EVER USE DAP SEALER on your boat windows! DAP flexable sealer "guaranteed for 50 years"....yeah...sure, the stuff on the same shelf as all the other sealers on hardware store shelf slowly melts away everytime it rains! I learned this the hard way!

Status
Not open for further replies.