1976 Lancer 36

Aug 7, 2014
Muira 30 Cape Town
Can anyone supply information regarding how these boats were built during this era.
How the hull and deck were laid-up. The reputation of the builder etc.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Hi and welcome -

There isn't much on this site regarding the Lancer 36. You might try the Knowledge Base for Lancer 36 owners and try sending them a PM. You can also do a google on the Lancer 36 for reviews. I am sure you have already done that. I remember looking at a L36 and doing a search. Found some useful info, but that was a few years ago.

Good luck

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The 36 looks like my old L25 writ large. Assuming construction is similar the hull to deck joint is glued with 5200 and screwed, not bolted. I wasn't a fan of the vinyl headliner as it hides leaks and you can't get to fasteners easy to pull deck hardware to reseal it. That inability likely leads to a lack of maintenance and perhaps water in the deck core, but that can be true for any boat. Reviews indicate the 36 is "light" and fast and favorable for PHRF racing due to its rating. Whether or not it suits your needs, only you know. I know that I can pick up an S2 11.0 (36) for 20-30k, which would be an upgrade from my current S2 9.2a (30). Apologies to my Lancer buddies but for the same money I'd buy the S2, which is better built. If the L36 is under 20k and in great shape it is certainly worth considering, but go see it. It looks a little small inside and that would be consistent with the L25 and L38s, but they were maxi-trailerables.