1976 Javelin leaking

May 13, 2020
O'Day 16 Westbrook
I just bought 1976 Javelin - my first boat. I got it in the water for the first time yesterday. Launching requires a lift with a 4 strap harness. The boat was perfectly balanced and getting it in the water beautifully. We went out for about an hour, sat at the lift dock for another hour & then proceeded to lift it out and on the trailer. It was no longer balanced as before. The bow was now lower than the stern. It was manageable but concerning and after getting it on the trailer we found a substantial amount of water in the hull with water running out the centerboard. So it seems that may be where the problem lies but have no idea how to get in to find out. Does anyone have experience with accessing the centerboard and/or have any other suggestions where else to check for the leak?

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
There should be 2 "inspection/Bailing ports (like Beckson-Brand screw-in ports) on the cockpit sole (floor) near the forward end of the cockpit (see pic below, I found a good picture and it's even a 1976!). unscrew those and reach in to find the CB pivot bolt through the CB trunk. May need new gaskets, or maybe can just use a wrench to tighten the bolt. Since new gaskets are less than $10 (I checked, $7 for the set) for the set of 2 from D&R Marine (www.drmarine,com) I'd consider replacing them.

Attachments

Oct 16, 2020
ODay Javelin Bath, NC
I had a similar issue with a long-neglected mid-70s Javelin I acquired recently. Boat took on lots of water shortly after launching, leading to extreme heeling while sailing in light winds. Inspection of the centerboard pivot showed bolt and gaskets in good condition but only lightly tightened, and some old dried urethane (?) caulk breaking off under the gaskets. I backed out the bolt (but did not remove it completely for fear of dropping the centerboard and then having to realign the centerboard to the pivot bolt), cleaned and dried the area, then applied silicone caulk and reassembled with bolt significantly tighter. Launched again (before full cure time on the caulk) and it took on no water during 24 hours at dock and under sail. I'm guessing only needed tightening.
There should be 2 "inspection/Bailing ports (like Beckson-Brand screw-in ports) on the cockpit sole (floor) near the forward end of the cockpit (see pic below, I found a good picture and it's even a 1976!). unscrew those and reach in to find the CB pivot bolt through the CB trunk. May need new gaskets, or maybe can just use a wrench to tighten the bolt. Since new gaskets are less than $10 (I checked, $7 for the set) for the set of 2 from D&R Marine (www.drmarine,com) I'd consider replacing them.