1975 oday 22

• Thread starter Anomymous 163294
  • Start date
A

Anomymous 163294

Be careful with a power washer. They can blow out sealant, especially on deck fittings. I'm guessing this is why @dlochner suggested a lower powered 120v over a gas powered

Do not under estimate the amount of time it takes to rebed a boat. It's not hours, it's months
seriously. are you aiming to turn me away from sailing. ? instead of saying rebedding im gonna say reseal. that does not take months. i have resealed a 18 ft boat in 8 hours. anyways my pressure washer is electric. he was suggesting a pump to get rid of the water accumulated by the pressure washer to get it out of the boat. wich i have a pump just for that . so i will try it .

A

Anomymous 163294

heres a few more pics. one is the speed sensor the other is hole in the floor showing no rope or anything. just a solid keel underneath . and bilge area on top

Attachments

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I wasn't aware the earlier O'Days had no centerboard . That's one thing I really like about this forum ,I'm always learning .
Thanks for taking the extra photos

A

Anomymous 163294

does anyone have the measurements for the locker bulkheads on there oday 22? any pictures? i would greatly appreciate it. the bulkheads under the cockpit.that seperate the cabin from the locker

A

Anomymous 163294

Just bought battery yesterday, all lights are working, Yay! but those will all be changed to led. along with complete rewire, and adding goodies .... right now i dont like where my battery is located. under port side settee. and the hatch will not close . i want to make a cabinet under the companionway to house all new electrical. what do you all think? pros cons? problems with this idea? lets hear it all.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rewiring on an older boat is often a good idea. As for the location, low and center is a good place for weight so that's a plus for your proposed location, however, without being on the boat can't offer much more than that, other than ensuring the battery is properly encased and restrained.

As for the wiring, a couple of issues right off the bat. The lead clamps are a poor way to connect the battery. The clamping pressure can deform the lead posts causing connection issues resulting increased resistance. Better to use the threaded studs and Nylon nuts. And, make sure there are no SS washers under the cable connection and no more than 4 connections to the post.

Finally get a copy of the ABYC Ampacity tables and ABYC wire color code. In the photo both wires are red, this is a major faux pas.

A

Anomymous 163294

oh i totally agree. and yes i do know about wiring. this is the way i got the boat . and the wiring is very shady. . so yes i will be rewiring everything from the mast to the cabin.... thank you for the response back about my idea of cabinet...

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Under the companionway is a quite popular location. If you stay with lead acid you will need to buy/build a proper box. LiFePO4 just need to be secured and are perfectly fine on their side. Also make sure you leave some space for some electronics. Battery switches, main breakers, charge monitors, etc. are most conveniently located near the battery.

A

Anomymous 163294

it will be big enough to accomodate all thats required. the battery will sit direct middle of the box made . switches , chargers , ect will be on either side ......

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
From what I can see ,that is a shoal draft keel . The centerboard will be inside the keel .
Could you post a photo of the front of the cockpit ?
Could you post another of the sole (floor) just after you enter ?
I'm looking for a rope that leads to the aft end of the centerboard .
Without a centerboard ,you will have a very hard time sailing into the wind
This is a 1975 O'DAY 22, there is no centerboard!!
The 22 had a shoal-keel on the 1972-78 models, and a shallower keel with a Centerboard inside on the 1979-83 models. Draft for the 1972-78 models is 1'11".
The 1972-79 models had a Masthead rig, meaning the forestay attaches at the masthead, this rig was also shorter than the later (1980-83) Fractional rig which had the forestay and upper shrouds attached to the mast about 3/4 of the way up the mast and a larger mainsail, smaller jib than the earlier masthead rig. Ballast was 600# on the 1972-78 models, 700# on the 1979, and 800# on the 1980-83 models. The flush forward hatch and the gas tank locker were added during the 1977 model year.

Attachments