1975 oday 22

• Thread starter Anomymous 163294
  • Start date
A

Anomymous 163294

alright my soon to be , became my now to be. lol got it home yesterday afternoon. as i was doing a hin lookup i found out that it was not a 1982 but a 1975. but, there is no cracking or softspots anywhere to be found. some spider cracking near the mast step, but solid. i assume it was stored indoors for its time. the cabin sole is rock solid as is the deck and cockpit. . i took a look inside it today. from pictures that i could not see the whole boat inside. just the main areas, i decided to further investigate it. upon further inspection. this is what i found. i found there to be alot of mildew under the cockpit sole. under the sink, and the berth wall. this will have to be addressed before i let anyone in it. there is no water tank, the mast and boom has been painted black, from what the boom looks like it is copper.. all sails are there. looks like all rigging points are solid and all rigging is there as well.including the cover for the boom i will be needing to get a top mast light. the paint seems to be chipping off under the cockpit . its a fixed keel . so there is no center board at all. the electrical needs some attention. as well as the wiring. . all in all shes solid.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
From what I can see ,that is a shoal draft keel . The centerboard will be inside the keel .
Could you post a photo of the front of the cockpit ?
Could you post another of the sole (floor) just after you enter ?
I'm looking for a rope that leads to the aft end of the centerboard .
Without a centerboard ,you will have a very hard time sailing into the wind

A

Anomymous 163294

oh and i figured out why my sliding hatch is burnt. there seems to be wasp nests on it so the po has scortched them out and my hatch, thankfully there is no deformity.

• Wow
Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
The plastic barrel bung that is screwed into the sole is where the rope to the back of the centerboard should go .
If you crawl under the boat and feel with your hands you will be able to feel the centerboard in the keel

A

Anomymous 163294

The plastic barrel bung that is screwed into the sole is where the rope to the back of the centerboard should go .
If you crawl under the boat and feel with your hands you will be able to feel the centerboard in the keel
if there is a centerboard there, its very freakin thin. there is no rope going anywhere for a center board. not even into the cockpit. i will post pics of the front and rear of the keel today....

A

Anomymous 163294

Search for Formula B on the Practical Sailor's website or on Sail Delmarva for mildew treatments.

The mast is aluminum. Early O'Day 22s had an anodized mast that was gold colored. If you remove the paint, be careful to not damage the anodizing.
thank you for verifying this .... i thought i hit the jackpot for copper. lol...... kidding. i will not be removing the paint. (although i think i should for safety reasons?) as for the mildew i got some mildew remover and sprayed it yesterday. gonna check on it today . i may have to use a wire disk on my drill to get all the what looks to be like cracked paint out of there. gonna get messy.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Formula B is pretty safe, it is TSP, Borax, and washing soda. Spray it on let it sit a while wash it off.

Before attacking the paint with a wire brush, I would use a power washer to rinse off the Formula B. There are adapters available for the power washer that will angle the nozzle so you can get into tighter spaces.

A

Anomymous 163294

ya, see thats what im worried about right now with a pressure washer. there is nowhere that the water escapes to outside the boat . i dont want to flood my boat. bad enough i have to mop up what water is in my starboard side settee storage because the speed sensor was not sealed correctly. i can get right into the hull from the cabin so its not a tight space .... lol. there is no dividers from cabin to under the cockpit sole.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Be careful with a power washer. They can blow out sealant, especially on deck fittings. I'm guessing this is why @dlochner suggested a lower powered 120v over a gas powered

Do not under estimate the amount of time it takes to rebed a boat. It's not hours, it's months