1974 Irwin 25' Help please (windows)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2012
Irwin 10/4 OK/KS
Ok so we just bought our first boat a 1974 Irwin 25. One thing that drives my husband crazy is the blank fiberglass face on the front of the cabin above the V berth. Has anybody ever installed a window in the space? did it work out ok? Do you have pics of it? Is there a reason there is no window there?

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I've often wondered that myself. It makes me nervous when go below while underway and can't see ahead.

Oct 3, 2012
Irwin 10/4 OK/KS
LOL...it just bothers him to look at it. he says it looks ridiculous. It is driving him crazy. So I really need to know if there is an actual reason for this blank space. Does it add stability? Will things fall apart with a window there? or was this just a money saver being that it is a lower end boat? I agree it does look kind weird. If he can't put a window there he is gonna make it look like there is a window there...lol Maybe this makes him so nuts because he is an auto body guy.

Jun 26, 2004
Irwin 38 cc mark2 sandy hook nj
windows

I have the 32.5 cc ketch with the same space in the forward cabin. I know its tempting to want to install a port, But after owning my boat for 33 years its not a good idea. So here are some of my reasons against it. The for deck is a busy place when sail handling and anchoring, you run the risk of breaking the port. Also in bad weather with waves over the bow the port will leak with the driving seas against it. Then when it rains water will stay against the glass so when you open it the bunk gets wet.

Oct 3, 2012
Irwin 10/4 OK/KS
Well we are small body of water bound. We live in KS...lol...no big waves here and if there are we shouldn't be on the water anyhow. Not wanting one that opens simply light and the look. So what we need to know is will the mast come crashing down if we add a window? Does that fiberglass space add stability?

Jun 26, 2004
Irwin 38 cc mark2 sandy hook nj
port

Since it's a deck step mast, you should have a compression strut that goes from inside the top of the cabin to the keel pan. If you have that , which you should, some times it looks like two 2 by 4 but together. Make sure that it not bad at the bottom (rot). Then that holds the load of the mast and you'll be fine. Many times it will be part of a bulkhead.

Oct 3, 2012
Irwin 10/4 OK/KS
Ok thank you. We do have the solid wall/bulkhead from mast to keel or at least that is how it appears. I told my hubby that should be what is holding the weight of the mast but being new to boats we thought we should ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.