1974 Evinrude 6HP Fisherman Restoration ?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I picked up a 1974 Evinrude 6HP Fisherman at a yard sale for $25 about 5 years ago. It has been sitting in my attic since then. I have decided to finally try to turn it into a runner. It turns over easily with the pull starter, and the lower unit oil was clean when I looked at it. I picked up a new fuel tank and hose last week, and hope to test start this week sometime to see if the carb needs a rebuild.. My question is regarding the tiller. When I got the motor, the tiller was missing the handle and gearing for the throttle controls. (one of the reasons I got it so cheap). I have ordered and received a used replacement from ebay.
tiller 1.jpg

Tiller 2.jpg

All seems to be complete, and in pretty good condition. However when test turning the throttle, control it is very stiff. I am going to have to disassemble it to install it on the engine, and I am wonder where I should lubricate it to make it turn easier, and what type of lube would you suggest?

I have both white lithium and sililube on hand, but if those are not what you suggest let me know what you have/would use.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think there is a friction control that will stiffen the turn to keep it from idling down when ya take a hand off. Make sure that the spark advance part moves freely as well . I have a '67 6 hp and an '81 4 hp that both run great.. I have been able to get most parts from the Bombardier site..

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I have been using this for other projects on the boat.
Magic lube.jpg

Magic Lube® is a PTFE based, multipurpose sealant/lubricant that can be used in both wet and dry environments with a temperature range of -10° to 425°F. It forms a durable, adhesive film that prevents contact, even under severe shock loads. Specially formulated to be non-melting, non-volatile, and waterproof, Magic Lube® has been USDA H-1 Rated to be environmentally safe. It is chemical resistant and compatible with most metals, rubbers and plastics. It is commonly used on motors, o-rings, gaskets, bearings, water filters and much more.

Do you think this is similar to Super Lube?