1973 Oday 23 mainsheet controls

Bboo

Jul 5, 2019
Oday 23 Tropics
I am renovating a 1973 Oday 23 and have gotten to the mainsheet controls rigging. It looks like the controls come down to pulleys on each side of the cockpit. I have the pulleys on the boom and I have the pulleys on each side of the cockpit but I don't have the sheets for them and am unsure of how to rig them up. Any help would be appreciated, especially pictures!

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I don't know about 23's, but the Mariner has a similar configuration. Start at the boom-end then to the port side( or starboard) then back up to the boom, then down to the starboard side and back up to the boom. From there you could use mid boom sheeting with the turning block and cam cleat located in center cockpit. That part I'm not sure of on the older 23's. On my 222 the boom end is has a four part block with cam cleat. The other side of the four part block attaching to the transom.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
look closely at your two rear blocks...one will have a small metal tab sticking out. this block is most often on the port side. this is where you attach the constrained end of your mainsheet line. the tidy way is to shackle it on, but it could also be just tied on. run the bitter end (loose) of sheet up and through one boom pulley and down to other block...then back up to the boom and down to where you started...there should be a way to clinch it there.
this inverted "V" bridle does a decent job of acting like a traveler and will help when trying to pull the boom in toward the center in an upwind situation. best of luck! enjoy your boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I don't know exactly, the rigging list that I have for the 23 is for the later model (1977-85) with a different mainsheet setup. However, based on a similar-sized boat that I do have that info for, I'd say around 50' (maybe a bit more??). I'd get a little more than I thought I needed, then cut off any extra after installing. It is always better to err on the long side!

Bboo

Jul 5, 2019
Oday 23 Tropics
I don't know exactly, the rigging list that I have for the 23 is for the later model (1977-85) with a different mainsheet setup. However, based on a similar-sized boat that I do have that info for, I'd say around 50' (maybe a bit more??). I'd get a little more than I thought I needed, then cut off any extra after installing. It is always better to err on the long side!
Sir thank you for all the guidance.

Do you know what size/type line I would need for the head sail sheets?