1972 Pearson 30 Bow Chocks?

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
I have a 1972 Pearson 30, and one of the Bow Chocks ripped loose in a storm on a mooring.
They are funky little things that are up on a little pedestal, and I wonder if they are stock, or
if there is a better design for them?

I'll attach a picture tomorrow.

Thanks, Jim.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Just Google sleeve chicks, easy to find, I have the same boat and I’m replacing both of mine this year as I also lost one

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry Fred... It was just too good of a set up not to respond.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Chocks are a great tool to help keep your lines in one place and reduce chafe of your lines. They do not need to be as big as in the OP's image. They come in many sizes. Be sure you provide adequate backing plates to handle the stress placed on the chocks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Chocks need to be sized to the mooring line. If they are too small the line won't fit in the chock.

It is highly unlikely that you will find a drop in fit. Those chocks are likely an aluminum alloy, trade named Marinium. Replace them with a solid SS chock which are much stronger.

If possible consider moving the chocks aft a little bit. The geometry for mooring lines is better and the boat will ride easier in the slip.

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
Yes Chocks are a great tool to help keep your lines in one place and reduce chafe of your lines. They do not need to be as big as in the OP's image. They come in many sizes. Be sure you provide adequate backing plates to handle the stress placed on the chocks.
Well, these chocks are screwed into the join between the hull and the deck.
I doubt there is ANY backing plate.

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
Chocks need to be sized to the mooring line. If they are too small the line won't fit in the chock.

It is highly unlikely that you will find a drop in fit. Those chocks are likely an aluminum alloy, trade named Marinium. Replace them with a solid SS chock which are much stronger.

If possible consider moving the chocks aft a little bit. The geometry for mooring lines is better and the boat will ride easier in the slip.
Do you think these need to be up on these little blocks?

I could move them back a foot or two, but further back there's a raised fiberglass toe rail
at the join between the deck and the hull. Is it really worth it?

I wish I could find a stock Pearson 30 photo showing them to see if they are stock, or what?

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
Very similar, but your are a little further back, and a little further inboard.

I notice you're missing one bow chock too!

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Yes I am, same side as you lol
Waiting on warmer weather to oversized the holes and fill the holes with epoxy before re-installing the chocks

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Do you think these need to be up on these little blocks?

I could move them back a foot or two, but further back there's a raised fiberglass toe rail
at the join between the deck and the hull. Is it really worth it?

I wish I could find a stock Pearson 30 photo showing them to see if they are stock, or what?
I see no need to mount them on the wooden blocks, that would just add more leverage on the bolts and washers or backing plates.

Moving them back, depends on how the toe rail is built. I'm not familiar enough with a Pearson 30 to render a reasonable opinion on that.

If there is not enough room to use a backing plate, use double thick washers, you can find them at BoltDepot.com.

Dec 15, 2022
Pearson P30 Lamoine
I see no need to mount them on the wooden blocks, that would just add more leverage on the bolts and washers or backing plates.

Moving them back, depends on how the toe rail is built. I'm not familiar enough with a Pearson 30 to render a reasonable opinion on that.

If there is not enough room to use a backing plate, use double thick washers, you can find them at BoltDepot.com.
I don't think there is even any underside to get to, as they are built onto the hull/deck joint.