1971 Hull #473 Restoration & Refurbishment

Feb 10, 2022
Catalina 22 473 Idaho Falls, ID
Good morning everyone. This will be the first of hopefully many posts to this thread and forum.

On 8/17/2021, I received a text from my coworker that simply showed a link to a 1971 22' sailboat on Craigslist.

File Feb 17, 10 24 06.png

My coworker knew that I had raced sailboats when I was in the Navy, and even participated in the 2009 TransPac race. Landlocked here in southeastern Idaho, I don't get many opportunities to sail. So now that he had garnered my interest, I enthusiastically opened the link to the posting. That's when I immediately saw that the boat was being posted as "Free". I quickly dismissed it as a scam (since the above picture was the only one provided), and closed the page without further consideration. However, I couldn't shake the thought of once again owning a sailboat. That's when I decided to reach out to the owner. No phone number was provided, so I just had to email the given link. I sent off my reply to the posting, and started the process of waiting. That's when I heard... nothing. By now the idea had thoroughly embedded itself in my brain, and I had decided I would do whatever was necessary to try and get this boat. So I again emailed the owner explaining not just that I was interested, but why I was interested, my sailing credentials, and what my intentions were with the boat. That's when I received a reply stating that it was mine if I wanted it.

It turned out that the owner and her husband had been restoring the boat for a fun retirement activity together. Tragically, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away before they could take pleasure in what they had worked so hard for. To my understanding, it had been restored to "good" sailing condition, and was used to sail among Idaho's freshwater lakes for a couple of years. However, the owner still had another, larger sailboat in Washington state, and no longer wanted to endure the emotional connection between the C22 and the loss of her husband. That was why she was willing to part with it for free, so long as it was going to go to someone who would care for it. That's where my journey has begun.

Upon getting it home, I knew I was into something remarkable. I had previously owned a Cal 20 when I was stationed in Hawaii which had needed a decent amount of work. This C22 was in fantastic condition comparatively. The only serious damage had been due to a snapped keel cable and a severed older style 3/8" keel eyebolt. Otherwise, it was in excellent condition. Below are the first (unwashed) pictures and video I took once I got it home.

Photo Aug 18, 16 43 30.jpg

Photo Aug 18, 16 43 13.jpg
Photo Aug 18, 16 44 06.jpg
Photo Aug 18, 16 48 12.jpg
Photo Aug 18, 16 48 22.jpg
Photo Aug 18, 16 48 35.jpg
Photo Nov 30, 18 34 31.jpg
IMG_6713.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg

The boat has cleaned up beautifully, and aside from some minor spider cracks in the gelcoat, the hull appears to be in excellent condition. The only thing I actually paid for was the outboard motor. It was a nearly new 4HP Honda long shaft with <20hrs total. With the current supply chain issues, I figured what the hell, and I gave her $1,000 for it. I was definitely getting my money's worth overall. It doesn't appear that this boat has ever touched salt water. Corrosion is very minimal overall.

I'm pretty excited about the whole experience, although I do feel for what the PO must have experienced with the loss of her husband. I hope that she can rest assured it will be cared for, and with the help of this community, will become a boat worth talking about. I'm hoping I can add to the extensive bank of knowledge on here, so stay tuned for my upcoming repairs and work!

Feb 10, 2022
Time for some real work.

I dropped the keel this last weekend using a sled I built on casters. It really wasn't that hard to do single handedly. I just needed to be aware of my hazards and take my time. My trailer is an original single axle, brakeless TrailRite from 1971. Once I got the keel removed, I wheeled it into the shop and drilled out the snapped off eyebolt.

Photo Feb 11, 15 02 28.jpg

This keel still had the original 3/8" eyebolt which was fortunate for me since I completely demolished the threads while removing the broke piece. One order to McMaster-Carr later ensured I had the necessary parts for the keel restoration (among some other parts for bunkboard replacement and stuff).

1645123434777.png

The keel pin hole is only slightly out of round, but enough for me to want to have it reamed out to 1 1/4". Instead of using the SS bushing supplied by CD (which is currently out of stock), I ordered an oil-embedded bronze bushing from McMaster that I will try to use instead. This weekend or next, I will try to load the sled into my trailer and find a machine shop to sandblast it and ream out the pin hole with the proper 1 1/4" tapered reamer (since I'm not prepared to shell out $500+ bucks to buy one of my own).
Photo Feb 17, 06 17 59.jpg
Photo Feb 17, 06 18 31.jpg

• Helpful
Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Nice! Looks like you have one of the rare models that does not have the pop top. I'm jealous of that from a racing standpoint. :)

Feb 10, 2022
What a long winter it has been. Six months of hockey have finally come to an end and now I can get back to boat stuff. Since my last post in February '22, I have made a bit of progress. First came the procurement!

1680622064820.png

I started by reaming out the keel pivot point using a six-fluted endmill and a mag drill I rented from a local shop. It worked surprisingly well with little to no fuss (other than slicing the hell out of my thumb). The new oilite bushing fits like a dream.

1680620905503.png

1680620936128.png

Next it was onto the TEDIOUS task of fairing out the keel. This is one of those items that I seem to have no problem procrastinating. I am, however, nearing completion of the port side. I first coated the entire keel in unthickened epoxy. Next I used West System's 407 Low-Density filler to begin building up the NACA airfoil profile generously provided by $tingy Sailor. As I begin to approach the rough shape, I switch over to the 410 Microlight Fairing Filler which is much easier to sand. I learned that using HVAC foil tape to control the spread of epoxy is a hell of a lot easier than cleaning up the droplets all over my garage floor. I've read others say that one side tends to be much worse than the other. I am really hoping that this is the case and that this was the harder side. I have nearly used a gallon of epoxy on the port side alone!

1680621362845.png

1680621399460.png

At the same time, I began doing some other fiberglass repair where the sliding hatch cover contacts the mast. I used two layers of 1708 biaxial fiberglass followed by epoxy thickened with 406 colloidal silica. This should provide for a smooth faired finish and plenty of structural strength.

1680621586026.png

Before the weather turned on us, I had turned my attention to the mast. First I replaced the sheaves in the masthead with larger ones so I could accommodate 5/16" halyards (thanks again $tingy). This process did require a bit of sanding to the masthead separator plate and some filing to the masthead itself. I wasn't super excited to be removing material from such a critical & irreplaceable component (since I still have the original round mast design), but the total material removed was fairly minor.

1680622518026.png

Feb 10, 2022
Next I turned my attention to the spreader brackets. The original cast aluminum brackets were prone to sudden failure during large gusts and high winds. I've previously had a shroud snap on my 1967 Cal-20 and it isn't an experience I'm eager to repeat. I got to marking the position for the new spreader brackets using the measurements provided by Catalina Direct. For the purpose of comparison, I drilled a small hole in the center of the old brackets, installed them, and marked the center of the original spreader bars. I then used some tape to capture the dimensions of the bracket placement.

1680623587415.png

1680623621769.png

1680623655349.png

1680623686959.png

1680623729124.png

1680623755218.png

1680623792151.png

1680623819846.png

3/16" isn't much of a difference, so I marked it with a centering punch and used a centering drill to start the new hole.

1680623951806.png

1680624004026.png

Feb 10, 2022
Now it was time for installation. Unfortunately, I had failed to realize that the new spreader brackets required new spreaders. Oh well... More procurement!

1680624300293.png

1680624327966.png

All new shrouds, turnbuckles, quick releases, and 4:1 adjustable backstay. She's starting to look like a real boat!

1680624366539.png

More recently, I turned my attention to the bow eye. These older boats simply had a single shaft pad eye going through the hull and an oak block. I knew that since I wanted to install the stem reinforcing assembly, it would probably be wise to upgrade the bow eye.

1680624699398.png

1680624728798.png

1680624754940.png

1680624780791.png

1680624848872.png

1680624883578.png

1680624910371.png

Feb 10, 2022
Installation wasn't anything too challenging. I marked the spacing and centers on the high-density polyethylene block and bedded it into plenty of epoxy heavily thickened with West System's 406 colloidal silica adhesive filler. I then installed the new bow eye along with my new stem reinforcement kit.

1680625617393.png

Trouble came when the temperature dropped below 40°F (the lower limit for West System's 405 Fast Hardener). That's when I remembered something mentioned by Andy Miller over at Boatworks Today. He said that he used halogen lights to help heat epoxy in cold weather. So I grabbed my little light, and whaddya know! It kept everything at a perfect 70°F throughout the night!

1680625641327.png

1680625671784.png

So what's next? Well, there's still plenty to be done before she's ready to float.
  • Finish fairing the keel.
  • Finish revarnishing the brightwork (currently removed)
  • Strip lower hull of old paint, install new barrier coat, and finish with VC 17m Antifouling paint.
  • Have keel brackets machined to proper size and reinstall keel.
  • Cut and install SeaDek faux teak flooring.
  • Install new trailer slipper leaf springs.
  • Replace trailer tires with properly rated tires.
  • Repack or replace trailer bearings.
  • Replace scupper valve, tubing, and thru-hull.
  • Install new rubrail.
  • Reseal (and possibly tint) windows.
  • Redo all wiring (although this doesn't limit my ability to day-sail).
  • Name the boat and install new decals.
Eventually I want to replace the trailer axle, install brakes, and paint everything above the waterline, but that may have to wait until later this year.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Great job saving and restoring this boat! I have a 1974 trail rite trailer under my 1986 model and will be following your progress as I'm thinking about doing an axle replacement and adding electric brakes to it.

Feb 10, 2022
Whelp, I'm probably due for another update, and this feels like a big one for me. After two years of restoration, I finally got her in the water and she passed her sea trials with flying colors. Of course, this wasn't before I completed a few more projects:

IMG_9016.JPG

Removed all the brightwork and began the laborious process of sanding.

IMG_9017.JPG

I wasn't impressed with the old tiller (which I think was ash), so I decided to make a new one from African mahogany. I had this beautiful piece with which the grain follows the curve of the tiller. This project is still ongoing though.

IMG_9018.JPG

I still needed a working tiller, so I went ahead and refinished the old one with the rest of the brightwork.

IMG_9024.JPG

IMG_9027.JPG

IMG_9028.JPG

IMG_9029.JPG

I knew I was going to need a new rub rail and this was one of the projects I was looking forward to the least.

IMG_9030.JPG

Slight bends in the channel will have to wait for future replacement. For now, I'm willing to live with it.

IMG_9031.JPG

Out with the old...

IMG_9032.JPG

I'm guessing there's a history here at the bow.

Feb 10, 2022
IMG_9111.JPG

Rub rail vinyl is STIFF and not interested in being told what to do. I knew this going into it and initially tried soaking it in hot water first. It was still pretty cold out, so I decided to break out the Camp Chef and pressure cooker, and use a long rubber hose to steam heat the rub rail at the location of the channel. If you're planning on replacing yours anytime in the future, this is the way! It went in like butter and I had the entire boat done in less than an hour and a half.

IMG_9112.JPG

Seriously, it worked like a dream.

IMG_9114.JPG

IMG_9115.JPG
IMG_9116.JPG

IMG_9142.JPG

The boat was previously named after the PO's husband who died before getting to sail it. I wanted something a little less gloomy. Last year I climbed the Grand Teton which was an epic adventure. One of the things that stood out to me though was that a much smaller mountain in the range, named Teewinot, was known to be quite a bit more aggressive. Looking into it, it's a Shoshone tribe word meaning "Many Pinnacles". I liked the idea that, although my boat isn't the biggest, it can still be aggressive and capable of many great accomplishments. And yes, I am well aware and versed in the technicalities of renaming a boat.

IMG_9143.JPG

I designed the logo by tracing a picture of the Teton mountain range in Adobe Illustrator. I sent it off to my local vinyl shop who printed two of them, 12" x 56", for only about $90. I applied them myself using the wet-method.

IMG_9166.JPG

I don't have pictures showing it, but I applied several coats of Interlux 2000E barrier coat and two coats of VC-17m Extra. I'm a little peeved about this though because it looks like you won't be able to get the VC-17m Extra anymore due to an EPA ruling. Oh well.

Feb 10, 2022
IMG_1222.jpg

Judgement day. First day raising sails since I took ownership.

IMG_1226.jpg

Teaching the young how to sail with your feet.

IMG_1237.jpg

Weather could've been a little warmer, but it was still a beautiful day.

IMG_1245.jpg

My son discovering that sailboats heel over when heading up wind.

IMG_1259.jpg

Picking up some speed.

IMG_1261.jpg

We peaked at 6.30 kts our first time out with sails. Can't say I'm disappointed.

IMG_9318.JPG

SeaDek was a great investment. 10/10 would recommend.

IMG_4903.JPEG

I'm excited to share my love of sailing with the family.

IMG_4913.JPEG

The water was a blistering 64°F, so there may be a bit of a shock when you get wet.

IMG_5067.JPEG

Thanks for everyone's support in helping me restore it to this point. I used to race sailboats pretty aggressively in Hawaii and in Tahoe. I participated in the 2009 Trans-Pac and sailing is something I'm very passionate about.