1971 Columbia 22 Mast

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Masts are typically one of two types. Either deck stepped or keel stepped.

Deck stepped masts stop at the deck and are held up by the shrouds (port and starboard), forestay and backstay. To lower this type of mast you can start by having someone support the mast, loosen the port and starboard shrouds (you typically do this at the turnbuckles) also note, you do not have to disconnect theses yet. Remove the bolt if present at the mast deck mount, disconnect any mast wiring (lights, vhf, etc.) if possible and then disconnect the forestay. Now while slowly walking the forestay back have the person supporting the mast slowly walk the mast down. On your boat two people can do this pretty easily. Larger boats will require a gin pole or crane.

For a keel stepped mast, you will need to disconnect all of the shrouds, forestay and backstay along with any wiring and then loft the mast out of the boat. This will be easier with a gin pole if one is available.

If there are other sailors around who have boats, ask them for some assistance. They will be there in person and can give you direct assistance.

Have fun with the new boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
I should add one note, make sure to take the sail and boom off the mast prior to lowering the mast and be sure that all halyards, topping lifts, etc. are free and generally tied off at the mast prior to lowering.

Mar 29, 2015
Columbia 22 Moneta
I should add one note, make sure to take the sail and boom off the mast prior to lowering the mast and be sure that all halyards, topping lifts, etc. are free and generally tied off at the mast prior to lowering.
Wow, seems like a lot of work and risk to keep it coming down easy. Is there a retro kit that that can convert to a hinged type mount like a Hobie? Also, does the mast sit on some kind of pin or guide that keeps it in place? The reason I'm asking is, there is a bridge at my end of the lake and apparently I'm not going under it.
Thanks,
Jay

Feb 20, 2015
Coronado 23 Port Orchard, WA
There are some great rigs people have made to make this less nerve racking. The fear of dropping a mask on the boat; can be overwhelming. Than of course you have to put it back up at some point. Unless your going to make a different style motor boat. Check out Youtube.