1968 columbia

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Earl House

I am considering purchasing a 1968 Columbia 31'. I have been looking at Pearson's in this size range and don't really know much about the Columbia's. Does anyone out their who could give me a comparison on Columbia vs Pearson. Are their some problem area's for this model I should look for$ What would be a fair market value considering boat to be in above average cond. Thanks for any information

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Columbia vs. Pearson

Look thru the inventories of Yachtworld.com and Boats.com. there are several Columbias on each. the Columbia is a well built cruiser, with solid lines and an even more solid hull. If there is a weak spot in the boats, it's in the deck coring. because of inferior caulks, deck fittings may leak, leading to wetness in the deck core, which may in turn lead to delamination of the deck skin. This in and of itself isn't that big a deal. The inner and outer skins are thick enough without the core and repairing the decks can be done pretty simply, with some guidance from West Systems, or Casey's books on boat repair. Larry Wilson

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia V. Pearson

Larry Thanks for the tip, according to the owner this is a very dry boat and all new hatches and ports were properly beaded also fittings were caulked and bedded correctly. I will be looking at the boat next week and will check for soft spots. Earl

Nov 23, 2004
more info

Hope it goes well. For more info go to the www.Columbia-Yachts.com website

G

Gary Clayton

good boat

HELLO THERE. I DO NOT OWN A 31 COLUMBIA, I HAVE THE COLUMBIA 29 1968. I FIND HER TO BE A GOOD BOAT. THE ONLY THING I CAN FIND THAT I DO NOT LIKE IS THE DISTANCE FROM THE HELM TO THE SEATING AFT THERE IS NOT MUCH ROOM MAKES IT HARD TO PILOT FRON WHWER YOU WOULD NORMALY STAND, ALSO THE AMOUNT OF STORAGE SPACE BOTH BELOW AND IN THE COCKPITT IS POOR, MY FIRST BOAT WAS A 25 CATALINA AND SHE HAD MUCH MORE STORAGE SPACE ALL AROUND. ENJOY YOUR BOAT AND GOOD LUCK. GARY.

Status
Not open for further replies.