1964 Bahama Islander 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger Larkin

I have recently bought a 1964 Bahama Islander 24'. I need a motor but don't know exactly what was intended to go into this engine hold. I would like to know about engines and anything else anyone knows about this boat.Including everything from sails to electric to plumbing. You name it. I need to know it. Thanks in advance for your help

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
That's a great little boat

The original rig dimensions are as follows: "I"=28.84 "J"=8.42 "P"=25.75 "E"=11.52 I had an 8hp 4 stroke on the one I owned. Let me know if you need further explanation of the rig dimensions 

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
Value

Given the size and likely value of the boat, I think I'd mount an outboard in the 5-10 HP range. It is just a lot cheaper to buy than any inboard & with luck you live somewhere you can find a good used motor. Unless you plan on motoring a lot, an inboard diesel would cost too much up front. OC

R

Roger Larkin

That's a Great Little Boat Reply

Yes I need an explanation on these dimensions. And I don't see how you got a 8hp. four stroke engine to fit in the hole in the engine compartment.Unless you made some type of mounting bracket to raise it up or something.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
hmmmm.....

not sure either, other than it was a Nissan 8. I do remember it's a pretty cozy well. The "I"= from the deck, straight up the mast to where the forestay attaches The "J"= from the headsail tack, back to the mast The "P"= the hoist of the mainsail, or the luff The "E"= the foot of the main, or the boom length The theoretical length of the forestay= I squared + J squared= square root the answer= max luff about 30ft. If you have a furler, you must deduct for the drum and swivel. These are just factory spec's, it's best to always put a tape measure on the boat if ordering new sails. Can you provide an image of your well to see if it's the same as I had?

Status
Not open for further replies.