1963 Alden Challenger For Sale in Texas

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks for that info. Iain MacAllister inputs any new info into the registry thread.

When I see boats like this listing, it makes me realize how important this website can be. Some of these boats need care and maintenance if they stand a chance of surviving. The Challengers with their wooden components don't stand a chance if neglected for long. A website of these boats and owners can help guide sellers and prospective buyers in owning these boats. They're not for everybody.

Perhaps that should be our mission as a website.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i knew this vessel well when it was up on the lakes. capt jim was the owner, a very friendly and kind fellow. it is the only other alden of this vintage that i have run across in my travels. jim raced her in the chicago to macinaw race most years that i perticipated. i noticed her right away tied up at the cicago yc as was i. we became good friends with both him and his crew. saludos and the concordia 39 ,misty, and aeolus were the only yawls in the race most years. starting with the first race we would bet a bottle of rum over the race of the two aldens. after the race we would sail to beaver island for some loose and delightful post race revelry. i did win the rum each yaer, it was consumed by all at the beaver. the dockmaster at the beaver, glen, had ben the captain on malabar 10 for many years while it was sail out of chicago. he allowed use much leighway at the dock with our activities. glen always had a nice dock waiting for us aldens. misty was a very well sailed vessel. her owners father had bought her new in 58. his father died after falling from scafiling while varnishing the toe rail on the concordia for spring prep work, having a heart attack. that brightwork is tough on us owners. i only bested misty 3 out of 9 years. it was always close. it sure was fun racing two other cca yawls.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
Stormalong said:
Thanks for the link, Iain. A clever name given Mr. Tice's line of work! :D

Adam
I you like that kind of thing, Adam, you can read here about Willard E. Strain, the first owner of Caravelle 992R, and how she came to be first named Chic.

Jul 8, 2016
jon hansen said:
i knew this vessel well when it was up on the lakes. capt jim was the owner, a very friendly and kind fellow. it is the only other alden of this vintage that i have run across in my travels. jim raced her in the chicago to macinaw race most years that i perticipated. i noticed her right away tied up at the cicago yc as was i. we became good friends with both him and his crew. saludos and the concordia 39 ,misty, and aeolus were the only yawls in the race most years. starting with the first race we would bet a bottle of rum over the race of the two aldens. after the race we would sail to beaver island for some loose and delightful post race revelry. i did win the rum each yaer, it was consumed by all at the beaver. the dockmaster at the beaver, glen, had ben the captain on malabar 10 for many years while it was sail out of chicago. he allowed use much leighway at the dock with our activities. glen always had a nice dock waiting for us aldens. misty was a very well sailed vessel. her owners father had bought her new in 58. his father died after falling from scafiling while varnishing the toe rail on the concordia for spring prep work, having a heart attack. that brightwork is tough on us owners. i only bested misty 3 out of 9 years. it was always close. it sure was fun racing two other cca yawls.
Thanks for your stories, Jon! :D

Hopefully SALUDOS will sell to someone who can get her back i to shape before she slips any further.

Adam

Jul 8, 2016
Iain McAllister said:
I you like that kind of thing, Adam, you can read here about Willard E. Strain, the first owner of Caravelle 992R, and how she came to be first named Chic.
Another interesting read, Iain! But now you have me wondering how they pronounced CHIC when they said the boat's name... :?: :!:

Adam