170 's show me your covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

feejer

Sep 17, 2005
- - S.E., PA
OK : So folks know I'm looking to buy a 170. I tend to be a bit anal about info when it comes to buying a boat. My question on the 170 will start flying. I tend to be very leary of info from dealers, so I go to the horeses mouth. The 170 will be my 3rd. Looking for photos of any custom covers which were made for your boat.

J

Jeff Wessel

Use a tarp

Feejer, I too researched the best option for covering my boat as it is stored under some trees next to my house. I found that you can spend a bunch of money on a custom boat cover or you can buy a 20' x 16' tarp. I went for the tarp because it was the least costly alternative. As it turns out, I am really glad I did. A tarp this size completely covers the boat in a nice tent (with the mast in place. I ran cord underneath the boat to the grommets and tied the front to the post on my trailer that supports the mast at the bow of the boat. It looks very nice, which I am sure that my neighbor appreciates. Canvas was my material of choice because they survive the out of doors for a long period of time. Here are some things to remember when chosing your tarp. 1) Resist the urge to buy pretty blue or green canvas or any dyed color. The die WILL come off on your boat. This is a lesson my brother taught me, thank god it wasn't me. The dye NEVER comes off. I bought a natural canvas (no dye). 2) If you leave your jib on your mast like I do when it is stored for short periods, put something like a plastic drop cloth between your mast and the tarp. This will keep your from transfering dirt from the tarp to your sail. Also, a new tarp will have a water resistant treatment that is slightly tacky for about the first season you cover. 3) I bought a 12 oz canvas tarp. It turns out to be quite heavy after treatment. I can still move it but I wish I had gone a little lighter weight, say a 10 or 8. I ended up with a great cover that keeps the weather out for about $100 delivered as opposed to $200 minimum for a boat cover. Just google "tarp", you will be amazed at how many online dealers there are. I will take a pic of my cover installed on the boat if you want.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
I agree - A tarp is best

Feejer... You don't mention if you need the cover while moored (mast and boom up) or for storage (mast down). I keep my H146 (very similar) at a dock. I researched mooring covers, and decided to go with none - I use only a sail cover. While the occasional leaf, and multitude of spiders get into the boat, it's open design make this not a problem at all. And I like that I don't need to stow the cover while sailing, nor take the time to cover/unover the boat for each outing. I was doubtful that I would be happy leaving it open, but it has worked out fine. BTW, Hunter recommends no cover, or ONLY light colored canvase for mooring covers (light gray, white). This is because dark covers absorb heat from the sun and can cause cracks in the ACP material. If you want a cover for storage, than I think a tarp is best. A canvas one as Jeff describes sounds great - I used the nylon type, which is probably not as durable, but is light and non-absorbant. It also allows for air circulation. I stored my boat like this for the first time last winter, and it was clean and not musty in the spring. No animals noved in, as there is really no where to make a home in the cockpit. If you are interested in mooring covers, I can send you pictures and descriptions of the two I tried - I ordered one and sent it back - thought it was unusable - the other seemed to be a better design, but I just decided to wait and see how it would work out this season without it. Both companies were good - Masthead who Hunter recommended, and a place in Tennessee who's ame I can't find right now. There design seemed superior, and they sent me tons of photos. If it is a mooring cover you want, let me know and I will dig further. Good luck, and chekc owner reviews before you buy. If you want more info than you can handle, include the 146 in your research, jsut as fyi, as they are extremely similar in design. Good luck! (By the way, Wyndmoor must be a GREAT place for a sailor to live!! ;)

feejer

Sep 17, 2005
- - S.E., PA
Tarp

I wish it was a great place to sail, just a burb of Phila. Thanks for the tarp info. I don't plan on doing any mooring. I'm alittle torn between the 14.6 and 170. I like the size of the 170, but its also 3 grand more. Time will tell, I'll sea trail them both within the next 2 weeks or next spring. I'm also looking at the Capri's, but I like the idea if the ACP hull

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
170 tarp

I have a 170, which I bought at the end of the season last year. It has been a great boat! Regarding a winter cover, last winter I used a nylon tarp which I drapped over the mast and tied taut underneath the boat. Big mistake! The snow and ice built up on the tarp over the course of a couple of weeks and when I went for one of my monthly checks, I found the mast bent from the weight of the snow! Maybe bent may be too strong a word, flexed by about 5 or 6" would be more accurate. I took care of the ice, and readjusted the tarp. A month later, the ice had built up again. Fortunately, the mast was not damaged. This year, I am buying a $100 boat cover, and will put it on UNDER the mast.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
170 cover

I've had a light-colored canvas tarp for several years now. I came up with rough dimensions and had it made locally. Works like a charm. As noted, while it works great over the mast in summer, the weight of snow will bend the mast in winter. So obviously you want to do something different. My first few winters, I merely placed the tarp over the boat (I store my mast diagonally across the ceiling of my garage in winter). But that allowed a lot of snow and ice to accumulate, plus it streched areas of the tarp where the most weight was building up. The accumulated slush has nowhere to go but to melt down through the canvas onto your boat when the weather warms. Last winter, I got two 10 ft lengths of pipe and a union and put that in the mast holders so that I could tent the tarp ala the way I do in the summertime with the mast. I also raised the front end of the trailer a bit higher than normal and that allowed for complete runoff. This worked quite well, although the union gave way a bit and the pipe sagged in the middle. This year, I plan on running a smaller section of pipe through the union to give it more support and thread the large pipes over that. At any rate, I'd brush off major snowfalls with a broom to help the tarp out a bit but other than that this arrangement kept the snow off the boat quite nicely. It's rare for me to find much snow buildup on the tented tarp at all and the boat stays dry and cozy underneath.

J

Jeff Wessel

store your mast off of the boat

David, Don't Winter your boat with the mast still on the trailer. What you describe is a common issue along with the un-neccesary abuse that the rigging takes. Clean and dry your sails, store them in a warm dry place with all of your lines. Move your mast into a sheltered area. I hang mine from the garage ceiling. Then I put a piece of common schedule 1 pipe (about 2" OD where the mast usually sits on my trailer and use that to support my tarp. Also, support th pipe mid span so that the support at the stearn of the boat does not have to manage all that weight. I am glad the mast or stearn support were not damaged on your boat, that is lucky.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
170 / 146

Judging by the activity on this forum, the 170's are more popular. For myself, the extra $3000 just wasn't worth it. I am spartan with the gear I stow or bring, and that fits right in with my low-maintenance boating style - I am under sail in about 8 minutes from arriving at the dock! Unless you will regularly want 5 people on the boat, you might be able to spend those 3 grand on other fun boat stuff - though I don't think I've spent more than $500, including new inflatable PFD's, anchor, etc. I have heard strong reaction from some that the 170 is more prone to turtling - there's lots of posts here about that. The beam is the same on the 146, so since it's shorter, it might be more stable. I've been very leery about flipping it, as I had no desire to plant the mast in the mud, but I have never felt that it was going to flip, even with having the rail buried and being hit by a gust. I like the tip about snow bending the mast - I have not experienced that myself, perhaps because the mast is raised high on one end, but certainly accumulating snow must be watched for. Thanks for that.

R

Rick S.

modified cover

Like others, I hang my mast and boom in the garage over the winter, and I'm fortunate to be able to garage the boat over the winter. But for a summer cover, I bought a generic 17' cover from Wal-Mart. Out of the box it fit well except for the stern, where there was too much material. So I pulled the cover snug, gathered the excess and held it temporarily with clothes-pins, marked the location of the new border with bits of tape, and then took a pair of scissors to it, leaving a little extra material to fold over and glue. I used a length of the nylon tie-down cord that came with the cover, laid it along the new edge, folded the flaps over, and glued the flaps in place with clear Goop sealant/adhesive. I left the ends of the cord sticking out, as well as a knotted loop at the aft end centerline. I terminated the ends of the cord, as well as the trimmed ends of the elastic cord, with line stopper knobs from my local marine store. Now there's no excess material, no slack in the cover, and I can pull it tight enough to shed water without the support of battens or anything else underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.