170 replacement sails - recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art K

Jan 4, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Guntersville
I just rescued a badly neglected 2006 Hunter 170. According to the dock master it had only been sailed about 3 times in two years. Can't see any cracks and the Honda engine even started on the second try. The sails had never been stowed or covered and of course are shot. I searched the web for new sails (main & jib). Most are in the $1200 range except for soundboatworks.com which are about $700. Has anyone had experience buying new sails for the 170? Recommendations? I don't need high end high performance sails, just fun day sailing.

P.S. From the number of posts about cracking I'm now having second thoughts about the ACP Hunters. Is this a pervasive problem or just the result of abusive use?

R/Art

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Art,
The 170 seems to always have racks. Mine has some every season. In fact mine has two cracks in it now. The good news is that fixing them is real simple and there is a lot of knowlege on the subject on this forum.
Good luck wih your 170!
Tim Hayes

W

Wreck of 98

Cracking

I don't think the cracking is caused by abuse unless leaving the boat sit out in the weather is abuse. I think rather it is a result of bad batch of plastic as has been noted before. Apparently the 98's are notoriously prone to crack as is mine. I have some minor (depending on your point of view) deck cracking which I have repaired before. This year I will add a strip of glass and hope it holds better this year!

On a happier note, I finally got my boat washed and found that the spray gun at the local car wash worked fine, that and a little soft scrub for the scuff marks. The only problem was pumping enough quarters in the machine to keep it happy!

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
Prior conversations seemed to conclude that Hunter themselves offered decent prices on replacement sails. Look at reply 7 in http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=92448&highlight=sails
for some cost information.

Everyone likes to talk about ACP cracks and I'm no exception. I'm in the middle of a crack repair project and, I have to say, I'm very pleased with the results. My experience thus far is that I would still purchase my used 170 given a second chance.

Last edited:

Art K

Jan 4, 2009
txjim, You are right, saw the post but did notice the price note. Thanks, I'll buy from Hunter. R/Art

Art K

Jan 4, 2009
For the record, I just received my new sails from Hunter. Made by North Sails, these are clearly the best value of the sites I searched and the quality seems superb. Came with a UV protection strip on the jib and a real nice sail bag that is big enough to hold the main and boom. It's nice not to get gouged by the OEM for parts.

Jun 19, 2006
Hunter 23 -Cave Run Lake - Kentucky
$713.32 total for both main & jib.
I just priced a new "North Sails" roller furler jib to replace the tattered one my our 99' 170. They quoted $250 + $15 shipping and it included a white UV cover (Blue cover was $50 more) and the luff wire installed. Sounds like a good price but I'll check Hunter too. Did you just call the main number or what?

txjim

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 170 Grapevine Lake, TX
That's close to what I paid for my jib from Hunter last year, had a grey UV cover instead of the blue of my original. Call Customer Service at 1-800-771-5556. One of the automated option is for parts.

By the way, the new jib cured all of my furling problems that were discussed in a prior thread.

Last edited:
May 21, 2010
Hunter 170 Longmont, CO
I have a used Hunter 170 main that I'll sell for $250 plus shipping.
Original by North Sails. Good to very good condition.
Email me for photos.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
txjim, when you say UV cover do you mean the contrasting strip of grey or blue/black on the bottom and leech that I see in photos of 170's under sail?

Status
Not open for further replies.