170 Motor Mount Fasteners

Apr 17, 2023
Hunter 170 Lake Arthur
I ordered a motor mount but haven't heard back on the proper fasteners for the 170. Anyone have info on this?

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
If they are like the ones at the rudder mount, they are stainless steel sleeves with a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside. Not sure what the proper term is - wood bushing, I think. This assumes there is wood in the hull at the attachment point and that it is not rotted out.

Here's a link to an example, but you would need bigger ones I would think:

Apr 17, 2023
Hunter 170 Lake Arthur
OK I found out the screws are supposed to be #14 x 2" PH Screws. Anyone know if that means pan head or pocket hole screws?

Apr 11, 2020
I'm going to go with pan head for two reasons:

1. That is what was on my 170.
2. I don't know what a pocket hole screw is.

Apr 17, 2023
Hunter 170 Lake Arthur
Figured it out and the wood was seemingly not rotten! Trying out the new Suzuki four stroke 2.5 this week!

Apr 11, 2020
Cool! Perhaps goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: Be 100% sure that mount is solid and secure. Motors sink fast.

Apr 17, 2023
Hunter 170 Lake Arthur
OK so I can't figure out how to get this motor mount to fit the motor. Has anyone cut them before? I feel like if I shave 1/2 an inch off of the transom it will fit perfectly. Circular saw?

In other news I finally figured out the jib furler and found a hardware solution for the tiller. Going to purchase the whole rudder/tiller upgrade but it says it takes 45 days.

Apr 11, 2020
Trim the top, as you suggested, or route out the recessed portion as needed.

A few tips on jib unfurling and furling...

Before pulling the jib sheets to unfurl the jib, wrap them around the jib 3 or 4 times. This will load a little extra line onto the furler to ensure that the jib will roll up completely and not leave a little standing proud.

When you are ready to furl the jib, point the boat downwind and give the boat some time to maximize speed. Much easier than doing it going upwind. Keep some tension on the jib sheet while you are pulling on the furling line so that it will wrap nice and tight.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Can the plastic block be reversed, and does the other side have the same recess?

Apr 11, 2020
Can the plastic block be reversed, and does the other side have the same recess?
If there were a recess on the other side that would allow the screw caps to mount within them, that would be good. My stock block did not have recesses, so I added them. The recess is important (IMO) so that if the screws loosen a bit the motor will still stay attached to the block. Especially important if the boat capsizes.

rsmithfh - I notice that your mount screws don't have the anti-theft type toggles that allow them to be locked together, preventing loosening. You may want to consider some method to hold those screws in place to save your having to constantly check them for tightness. Wrapping duct tape around them two of them would work, but don't leave it on or the adhesive would gum things up. Another possibility would be a section of fuel hose just long enough to fit between the two screws with the transverse pins at the end captive within the tubing. Even better if the pins were a snug fit in the tubing. Hope this makes sense.