170 Gooseneck Repair

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I just bought a 170 and as expected there are several areas needing repair. The gooseneck where the boom attaches to the mast was loose. The pop-rivets had failed and the holes in the boom were elongated. I reattached it with a metal strap and sheet metal screws. I found a replacement gooseneck in the parts listings. It has a spring for shock absorption that mine does not have. No doubt, mine is an older version. My repair will last until this season ends. If the gooseneck is replaced, the boom will need shortening about a half inch to remove the elongated holes or replace the boom. I did look through a few pages for this issue. Sorry if it has been talked to death. Please give your advise.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Welcome to the forum!!

Please post a photo of the boom and gooseneck connected to the mast. Why replace the boom? How much do you want to shorten it? Before I did that, suggest cutting it to shorten its length. However, if you want to buy a new one suggest contacting RigRite Spars Main Page (rigrite.com). Boom length is dimension E (8.37 ft) SailboatData.com - HUNTER 170 Sailboat.
Thanks. My gooseneck is different from the one listed in parts. It does not have a spring to reduce shock. I'm guessing it failed for that reason. I will need to remove about a half inch of the boom to clear the old rivet holes. I'll post a photo of the repair tonight. I can also strengthen it if needed. My repair may last for a while as my wife will never advance beyond a "light breeze sailor".;) That said, I have to explain hiking straps without scaring her away from the hobby.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Welcome to the forum!!

Please post a photo of the boom and gooseneck connected to the mast.
The tape covers sharp edges. The strap is heavy gauge galvanized steel.
If need be I can double the strap and add more or larger sheet metal screws.
thumbnail_IMG_0473.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0474.jpg

Tater

Oct 26, 2021