16 Foot M16 Melges, need help with approx year, serial number location

Oct 16, 2019
Chrysler Lone Star 16 Calais , Maine

sail bag says Melges, it’s 16, it has smallish dual rudders, it has twin very outside centerboard. The transom has been repaired, perhaps the serial number was taken out by sanding or pop revets removed with the placard.
the UT registration was no help, they don’t have records to 1991-1995, Colorado stickers likewise no help, been in contact with both states.
missing are mast, boom, tillers, sails, and a physic.
i think it is maybe from 1950s—1960s. It was made by other Boat companies, it’s a scow, and should be M16.
i read that the serial number may be on the gunnel, not seen visually without sanding paint off.
any insight would be appreciated .be

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
You’re looking at a Melges M 16 inland lake racing scow. The scows are really fun and unbelievably fast since they have a mostly flat bottom and carry a lot of sail area. Many years ago, I used to sail on a D Boat (20’) in northern Minnesota that had a boom, and of course the sail, that extended past the stern of the boat by several feet and used running backstays to accommodate it. Man, was that boat a machine!! These boats also have a letter of the alphabet in their name, ie: X boat (16’); Y Flyer (17’); D boat (20’); all the way up to the A Boat (38’) and all have the same hull configuration with twin rudders and bilgeboards because one side or the other is flying unless you’re running before the wind, and then the boat is zooming on plane thanks to the flat bottom. The one you’re looking at hasn’t been manufactured for quite a while, but the company is still in business in Wisconsin. Their website: melges.com. I would bet that their customer service department will be able to provide you with the information you seek.

Best of luck!

Oct 16, 2019
The folks at Melges felt 1970s.
These changed to a single rudder at some stage. They said the serial number was on the transom,
I ve removed a lot of paint since, but none is there.

Feb 8, 2017
Hopefully, they were able to provide you with specs for the spars , and sail sizes. The tillers should be easy enough to replicate by an experienced woodworker. On the D boat, there was a bar connecting the 2 tillers together so they’d work in sync. The psychic, you’re on your own...

Feb 8, 2017
1970’s sounds about right. Where’s the boat located and where would you be using it? Those things were built for the lakes where you wouldn’t get much waves action that could bury your bow.

Oct 16, 2019
The Melges folk can’t guess a year by a photo. I’m looking at putting her back into sailing shape, VS A restoration. I build my own windsurf boards, I can fabricate or adapt a lot of parts I need, including the transom . The cost for a mast boom and sails will probably be cost prohibitive. Boat is in Colorado, while we get some wind driven waves, it’s probably suited here. Again it has no serial number but still looking.
Appreciate your insight and information.
Cheers

Feb 8, 2017
Just one thought: if you can get a ballpark for spars and sail sizes, I understand there are places around the country that part out old boat parts, sails, etc. If you can find one somewhat close to you, could be a reasonably easy solution. Also, the original builder of the scows was a company in Minnesota called Johnson Boat Works. When they shut down, they sold the scow molds to Melges. If you’re up to it, you can widen your search to include Johnson or Melges X boat parts/sails. The parts should be pretty much interchangeable or at least close. My 2 cents...

Oct 16, 2019
All the info on sizes is available from various web sites. Shipping a mast , be by truck freight.
i do feel I could adapt a windsurf mast and sail, but reinforcemints, stays , boom are questionable.

Oct 16, 2019
Their is a M20 on eBay , shown as a1970, the mast mount looks different to mind. It has a bent mast and no boom that I see. It’s in Minnesota, auction is $10, plus $150 , it’s a charity one.