16.5 ODay Jib haylard wire lead

Apr 9, 2014
Oday 16.5 Naples
Can I replace the wire on the Jib haylard with just the rope? I don't see the purpose of the wire lead.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
You may need to also replace the block (pulley) on the mast as well, but other than that there should be no reason that you can't replace the wire/rope halyard with an all-rope halyard.

Boats (especially racing classes) used wire for part (usually one half) of the halyard length to take advantage of the reduced stretch of stainless cable versus the 3-strand polyester rope of the time. Modern rope, even the least expensive double-braid polyester, has much less stretch than older types. Racers may use high-tech synthetic rope to gain even less stretch, but the old wire/rope halyards are being replaced by all-rope on most boats.

I use 1/4" double-braid polyester (Dacron) for both my Main halyard and jib halyard on my Day Sailer. Main halyard is 50' and jib halyard is 36' You may wish to add a couple of feet to each of those lengths to allow for splicing the shackle on and since the DS I ran the halyards to cleats on hte cuddy top, mine cleat to the mast.

Apr 9, 2014
Oday 16.5 Naples
You may need to also replace the block (pulley) on the mast as well, but other than that there should be no reason that you can't replace the wire/rope halyard with an all-rope halyard.

Boats (especially racing classes) used wire for part (usually one half) of the halyard length to take advantage of the reduced stretch of stainless cable versus the 3-strand polyester rope of the time. Modern rope, even the least expensive double-braid polyester, has much less stretch than older types. Racers may use high-tech synthetic rope to gain even less stretch, but the old wire/rope halyards are being replaced by all-rope on most boats.

I use 1/4" double-braid polyester (Dacron) for both my Main halyard and jib halyard on my Day Sailer. Main halyard is 50' and jib halyard is 36' You may wish to add a couple of feet to each of those lengths to allow for splicing the shackle on and since the DS I ran the halyards to cleats on hte cuddy top, mine cleat to the mast.

Thank you very much. This is the first time I've had some free time to get back to you, but I want you to know how much I appreciate you answering my question.