15hp Outboard, too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred

I am getting ready to install a 15hp 2 stroke Mercury Outboard on a Mac 25. The motor weighs about 75 lbs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think it is too heavy?

M

Mark A.

6HP

I have a Mac 26 and use a 6HP 4 stroke Tohatsu. It is about 57#. Unless you have a specific issue why yuo need that bis an engine, I think it is overkill. Unless you need and want electric start I think a 9.9 will get you going as fast as it will go.

M

Mack

26x will take a 115hp

I have mounted a 90hp on my 26x, it weighs in a 285lbs. I wakeboard behind my sailboat, and if I am sailing and the weather suddenly gets bad I can go back to my slip at 25mph. I have used a 4.5hp and an 9.9 when I was waiting for my 90. They are very underpowered in bad conditions. I have seen a Mac 26x with a 115hp mounted on it. I do not know if this helps? I did all the mounting, wiring, cables etc. on my boat.

J

Jeff

Too Much

I have a 1981 25' Mac. It has a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke that ways about the same as yours. It does a fine job, although if it weighed less, it would be alot easier to handle. The weight of your 15 hp. doesn't seem to be a problem, nor do I think torque it would have, cause you trouble. But there is a mathematical formula that says a boat can only go so fast, unless you get it to plane. In other words, your mac is only going to go about 6 - 7 knots, whether its pushed by a 15 hp. or a 6 hp. motor. Personally, I think more power on demand is better though.

M

Mark

15 hp too much?

I have a 18 HP on a M26. Not my choice (came with the boat). I never run more than 1/2 throttle. It seems to burn through the gas very quickly - I only get a couple hours on a 3.5 G tank even at part throttle. I suspect 6hp would be much more gas thrifty while giving you all the power you need.

K

Ken Walls

Question with the 90 HP installed?

I've never seen or heard of a 90 on the 26X. Sounds interesting since even at my 3500-4000' am losing lots of power versus sea level. Does the 90 add much top speed capability or just stronger pull for boarding. What speed would you usually board at behind the Mac, and do you use ballast in to get a bigger wake?? Thanks in advance.

D

Dave Schiller

is 15 too much

I have a Nissan 9.9 long shaft which has been sufficient in all conditions, every reliable and pretty fule efficient. A little 5hp mercury came with the boat but that proved too small going into strong winds/waves. I agree with mark's suggestion that you are limited to hull speed anyway and we get that with the 9.9. One other thing to remember is to get a long shaft engine as we found going into waves the 5 would come out of the water too frequently.

M

Mike

True Skinny

First of all, A Mac 25' not a Mac 26'. Several issues such as water ballast and hull shape must be taken into account. The 26' is a compromise hull that can be made to plane easier than the 25', which is a true displacement hull. If your are a sailor and not a stink boat pilot, then a 10 horse four stroke long shaft has all the power you can use. Four strokes are more fuel efficient and cleaner running (no oil mix pollution in the water). The reason to own a sailboat is to sail, right? I don't plan to water ski when I go out. Don't use a wrench for a hammer.If you want speed, you might prefer a motorboat. Mike

R

Richard Wallace

The Transome Is Weak

In 1993 I hung a 9.9 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on my 1985 Mac 25. It had an 8 HP Mariner that probably only weighed 60 pounds. The long shaft, electric start, high thrust Yamaha weighs 107 pounds. I could see the transome flexing under the weight. I added a long oak board behind the engine mount bracket and put a tripod arrangement inside the hull directly in front of that area. The board was through bolted to the interior tripod. The tripod then is braced to the bottom of the seat area in front of the motor area. That removes the twisting motion that the motor mount puts on the transome and also helps with the extra thrust. Last summer the original motor mount broke and we built a solid aluminum bracket that will last for many more years. Hopes this helps.

N

Norman

25hp

My 1986 Mac25 came with a 25hp 2 stroke Evinrude when I bought it used. Not knowing any better, I actually used it for 2 summers without any problem. Don't know how much it weighed. Probably just dumb luck that it didn't fall into the drink along with the stock mount. Never needed more than about 1/4 throttle to reach hull speed. I have a 6hp now, which is plenty. I think anything more than a 10hp is just a waste of gas and weight. Norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.