155 vs 135% Geona

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Leighton

Need some advice, especially from Catalina 400 owners on the Chesapeake Bay. Just ordered a new 2002 model and picked the 155% geona option. Having second thoughts. Not sure I want that big a sail sweeping the foredeck except in the lightest of winds. Having sailed the bay for most of my life (trust me a fairly long time!) I know summer breezes tend to be pretty light, but even so, not sure the 155 is a good idea. I'd appreciate any thoughts from owners in my neck of the woods on this obviously weighty issue(?). Smooth Sailing. Tim L.

C

Chuck Newman

155% Genoa

Hi Tim, We just finished our second season with our 380. We ordered her with a 155 and have been pleased with the performance. We did have a luff pad added to help with the sail shape when partially unfurled in heavier air. As you well know, the breeze can be light on the Chesapeake - my feeling was that we can always reduce sail, but we can't add sail. We geared her for the conditions we felt we would be encountering most of the time. So far it seems to have been the right choice for us, but I would get additional input from other 400 owners. Best of luck with her! Chuck

L

Les Murray

You could try a 135 a cruising spinnaker

If you are uncomfortable with the larger headsail, try the 135% and add a UPS or other type of asymmetrical cruising spinnaker. This will give you better light air performance, especially when reaching. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

M

Michael Barry

sail shape

The best sailing on the bay is in the spring and fall and the 155 is a lot of sail on a 40. If you had a furlling panel sewn into the sail I wouldn't worry, but my 380 155 furler lacks one and makes a terrible shape when furled sailing in 25 winds (the good stuff). I like the smaller sail, drifter combo and will be looking there in the future.

N

Norm Fontaine, sv cruising too

big verses little

We have hull # 3 with the 130 Genoa on it. I have never felt the need for more sail in light winds. What I have felt a need for is a whisker pole to keep the sucker out there in light winds. To me the smaller sail with the pole gives the best of both worlds. It is a great boat and fast. Norm Fontaine S/V Cruising Too

Status
Not open for further replies.