Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2006
- - MD/DE
Hello: Been on the Mac forum - decided they are too large for a first sailboat. Is the 14.2 a good boat to learn on? I plan on upgrading in a few years if we decide we can do this sailing thing. Have been power for years. Will still have powerboat in water all summer, so looking to experience sailing. Thoughts? Thanks, Bill

D

David Williams

My Opinion

-First, I want to qualify my opinion as being from the land-of-wind. I've sailed a 14.2, and it is a neat boat. It is not a boat for a beginner, in breezy conditions. A Sunfish is a great boat to learn to sail. I am sure that opinions will vary, but in all reality, larger, heavier boats are easier to sail. I spend almost every weekend at the lake; small open boats and novice sailors are the ones we have to rescue. David

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Capri 14.2

Bill: See www.capri14.org We teach sailing to novices in C 14.2's in Tempe, Arizona. They are fine but start with winds less than say 6 knots. Later with experience go up to say 10 kts and later yet high as you feel comfortable with. I think they are best at say 8 to 12 kts some others like breezes a bit stiffer. The boat is wide and comfortable with 2. In stronger breezes a third person helps hold it down. Having both a mainsail and jib is good for learning. For a spinnaker you need to move to a different boat. Before sailing be sure the mast is sealed in the upper end as it lessens the chance of turtling when capsized. Climbing in over the transom after righting takes some agility. Wear a pfd and sail where you might get some help from others, especially in the early stages of learning. First read up on how to sail and/or take lessons before jumping in over your head if you havn't sailed before. Dick K.

Status
Not open for further replies.