13hp Yanmar 2gmf de-winterization

Fashin

Apr 27, 2020
Hunter Hunter 31 Brooklyn, ny
Ended up working on the engine ALOT, cleaning it up and tracking down things that are wrong with it. I feel as if the previous owner did not take care of the engine much nor did he really know how to. Ended up finding out that the transmission had a leak and it had water mixed with the oil. Presumably it has not been serviced in a while. Drained, cleaned, refilled and all good. With that I found that my shaft connecting bolts were loose and one fell out. Fixed. Changed the oil and had some more leaks. Coolant was leaking from somewhere that's why it was low. Some uv dye in the coolant, found the leak to be a hose clamp came loose and had the coolant seeping out just a tad running down the engine block. Fixed. Went over everything decide to see how she is on the water with the motor. As soon as I pulled out she stalled on me, and the starter would not engage just kept grinding. Took out the starter. Most likely Chinese replacement that had the cone brake. Just ordered a remanufacture oem. Jeez, what did I get myself into. Never worked on diesel engines only gas, but after rebuilding a rotary once or twice this is not as hard. Oh and to get to the starter motor I removed the air intake elbow just to find out that there was no air filter in there to begin with. Wtf...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The foam filters deteriorate (my boat was the same when I bought it).

Fashin

Apr 27, 2020
Hunter Hunter 31 Brooklyn, ny
Probably fell apart and got sucked into the engine. I guess at one point or another they had the engine out and sprayed it black, and did a pretty crummy job at it.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
OMG
when was the last time you changed the antifreeze, or flushed the inner system, or pulled the heat exchanger and acid cleaned the exchanger tubes????? clean the head up -get a funnel when putting oil into the head- you dont need an oil fire.