135 vs 155 genoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2012
Catalina 320 Lansing, NY
Shopping for a new headsail. Is there really much advantage to a 155 over a 135 on a 310? Sailing on Cayuga Lake (NY finger lake), lots of tacking, very variable winds. Yesterday, 18-26 with killer puffs. Heavy air in spring and fall, but lots of light air days in the summer. What's your advice/experience.
Bill

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
While not quite a consensus, it appears that many skippers have thought this one out and have decided that 135s make a better all around sail for varying conditions. Reasons? Just like your question, they can handle higher winds without reefing/furling. Also, smaller sails sometimes are better than 155s in light air.

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
I am happy with the 150 for my sailing in Lake Erie. I sail a lot with one reef in the main and the full genoa. With the reefed main I can stay in the cockpit if the wind pipes-up and reef the genoa as required. This past weekend I hit a wind shift and what seemed like a squall line and the above worked great. Still rounded up a bunch before I could pull in the genoa. With one reef in the main the Dutchman system seems to work better also.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I had questioned a 150 as it is time to start shopping for new sails. What was brought to my attention by a sailing buddy was how far back my cars currently are, and he asked "If you go to a 150 you will run out of track". Do you have a turning block to help this issue, or is it a non-issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.